Saturday, August 30, 2008

Pink Dolphin, Books and Bowling

A friend sent me pictures of a pink Dolphin yesterday, I was absolutely fascinated. The pictures are genuine, they have been verified at Snopes.com by me and by others. I understand it is an albino dolphin which has come out pink instead of white. It has red eyes like an albino. It is absolutely gorgeous. Some of you may have seen these pictures before, but I hadn't. What a wonderful colour. If you would like to read what Snopes has to say and to see some more pictures click here to view them. I would love to go to Calcasieu Lake, Louisiana to see this animal, quite a rarity. I usually love reading books by Mercedes Lackey; she has put her name to a book with Roberta Gellis, which I am currently reading (I am actually in the middle of a series and am waiting for the next two books) which is called And Less Than Kind. Its not badly written, but it is a stupid book. It is about Elizabeth I of England and her connections with Underhill where the members of the Bright Court, and coincidentally the Dark Court, exist. The Seleighe or Sidhe as they are called in many novels. Elizabeth's lover is a Sidhe who is actually there to protect her so she will eventually make it to the throne of England. I am only persevering with the book because I have nothing else to read at the moment. I am surprised Mercedes Lackey's name is connected with such a stupid story. The history of Elizabeth's survival through the reigns of Lady Jane Grey and Queen Mary is enough of an adventure without throwing in a bunch of fairies. Pah. I think one of the things I dislike is the assumption of a lover. It seems to be the "thing" these days to assign lovers to Elizabeth, when nobody knows. They think she had an affair with Thomas Seymour when she was a youngster, but again, nobody knows. So to blithely allocate her a lover irritates me beyond measure. There are several others of her court who were suspected of being Elizabeth's lovers, but the same applies, no one is certain of the truth. I suppose this makes it "speculative" fiction. Its odd really because I normally enjoy stories about the Sidhe. It occurred to me last night that we start bowling again on Friday. Came around a lot faster than I expected. I am not absolutely certain whether we will bowl Friday or Monday, depends on someone else with whom I must get in touch. I persuaded her to bowl on Friday rather than not bowl at all and I can't just change our minds without letting her know. North America is a nation of beef lovers so here is a steak dish to satisfy that appetite. Antipasto Steak Salad Source - Recipe du Jour Servings: 4 Ingredients: 1 pound beef boneless top sirloin steak -- 1 inch thick 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper 1 bunch romaine lettuce 1 cup garlic-flavored croutons 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese 1/2 cup Caesar salad dressing Heat coals or gas grill. Sprinkle beef with pepper. Cover and grill beef 4 to 6 inches from medium heat 15 to 18 minutes for medium doneness, turning once. Cut beef across grain into thin slices. Toss romaine, croutons, cheese and dressing. Top with beef slices. Serve with additional shredded Parmesan cheese if desired. Have a great weekend.

6 comments:

  1. it's an odd dolphin on picture, it's looking much more scary to me, i've got a stupid animal instinct i suppose ^^

    you are quite nice to read such books, i don't like them usually,i mean books talking about possible history, about kings and Queens, i'm getting bored about it around 2 pages, it happens even on the cover ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dolphin looks beautiful to me, not scary.

    I like historical books, but not when they screw around with them like this one although I must admit, I was enjoying it more this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo --

    I suppose it's a freak. It's strange that the other dolphins have not rejected him, or worse, attacked him.

    Maybe it's a girl dolphin and there will be very many little pink dolphins.

    Happy bowling! Yes, time flies.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bit different from the dolphins we saw in Singapore. Now imagine if the white whale Moby Dick had turned out to be a pnk albino like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to think there would be more of them - a new strain of dolphin, it is so pretty. I am not sure it would pass on, is albinism (new word?) genetic, I don't know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would have been something to have Moby Dick pink. Maybe a white whale couldn't have happened anyway and if it had been an albino, it too would have been pink.

    ReplyDelete