Friday, September 26, 2008

Manitoulin Day 3

Last night we celebrated our 36th wedding anniversary and finally opened the Malivoire Pinot Noir I have been yattering on about. It was good. I had a couple of glasses of bubbly before lunch too, gotta have champers on an occasion.
September 17, 2008 We packed up what little we had unpacked and went for breakfast. This morning we had boiled eggs in egg cups which is something you never see in Canada, well I never have. As Brenda said, most Canadians don’t know how to eat them. One couple who were there certainly didn’t have much idea, she was using a dessert spoon and they were quite small eggs too. We also had soldiers with them (fingers of bread to the uninitiated) to start we had a bowl of fruit and yoghurt and in between some more chocolate bread. I wish I could get the recipe for that. Finished loading the car, not much left. Headed for Mindemoya and the grocery store where we bought some goodies for lunch. A turkey wrap, some sliced havarti cheese, some Campari tomatoes, they have a very good flavour and a couple of bananas. Very odd to us, the LCBO or liquor store, was in the grocery store. You paid separately. Anyway, got ourselves a bottle of wine. Not a bad grocery store, but not great when compared to our stores in Kitchener. Back to Providence Bay and we spent several delightful hours on the beach. Had lunch out there too and made friends with a seagull, Sidney, who was on the scrounge. He got some cracker as I broke one up unintentionally. It really was a beautiful day all though too cool to strip off but the sun was blazing down and our faces certainly picked up some colour. In fact I burned my lips – face was OK my cream has SPF15 in it. Will have to remember to put some on my lips to. Matt burned his face, no cream of any kind. Around 2 I figured we had had enough sun for a bit so we checked in to On the Bay B & B which was more or less just behind us and settled ourselves into our room. What a difference compared to the first place. We have decided to stay 3 nights. I plugged in my laptop and yay, it worked on the internet so I checked all my emails. I was a bit nervous about staying too long as Rusty said it would be so easy for me to pick up a virus as I don’t have anything on here and I only have Win 98 which is all this old unit will take. Remembered later I had AVG anti virus. The picture is the B & B from the beach. I booked dinner at the School House restaurant which was just round the corner from us and we then “hung” around the B & B. We discovered a horseshoe pit, Matt used to be quite good but that was more than 20 years ago. He threw quite a lot of shoes and finally ended up with a couple of ringers and a leaner as he called it. This is a delightful property and they have quite a big piece of land. We sat on the porch and had a couple of drinks before we headed out to dinner. I forgot to mention our room has a balcony from which you can see the bay which leads into Lake Huron. If you would like to check out their web site click here. The Bay was originally called Bebekodawangog by the local Indians which means "where the beach curves around the water". This is the beach from the B & B.
At the School House I had clam chowder to start and Matt had crab cakes, both of which were very good considering how far we are from the salt water. We both decided on the rack of lamb which was delicious and came with good, crisp, veggies. We drank a small carafe of Valpolicella with it. We both finished off with Crème Brulèe for dessert and I had a cup of coffee. Turned out to be a little more expensive than last night, but not too terrible. Back to the house and more cribbage. Doesn’t seem to be a weather channel on the TV locally. We hear it’s supposed to be warmer. Ingrid, our hostess, has suggested several places for us to visit tomorrow, including restaurants.
We are getting some real early nights this week. All this fresh air is getting to us.
Back to today, I thought I would give you a fairly easy curried chicken recipe. We bought a load of chicken breasts yesterday so here is a way to use them.
Curried Chicken Breasts
Servings 6
Source: Cookbook Wizard
6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (about1-1/2 pounds)
2/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon sesame seed
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
4 cloves garlic, crushed
3 large onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon butter
Paprika
1 small cucumber
Place chicken in ungreased rectangular baking dish, 13 X 9 X 2 inches. Mix yogurt, coriander, ginger, sesame seed, red pepper, turmeric and garlic; pour over chicken. Turn chicken to coat with marinade. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, but no longer than 24 hours.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook onions in butter in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are tender. Remove chicken from baking dish; stir onions into yogurt mixture in baking dish. Place chicken on onion mixture. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake uncovered about 1 hour or until juices of chicken run clear. Cut cucumber lengthwise into halves; remove seeds. Chop cucumber; sprinkle over chicken. 6 servings
Have a great day.

3 comments:

  1. We have liquor stores inside supermarkets, too. You have to buy your liquor first and pay for it as you aren't allowed to take grocery items in. I think that's probably because the liquor dept usually has a separate entrance as well as the one leading off the supermarket proper.

    Eggs with soldiers takes me back to childhood:-) I never liked eggs but I could cope with them if I ate lots of soldiers!

    I've never heard of the horseshoe game. Is it something like quoits?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it is somewhat like Quoits not that I hav ever played that. With horseshoes, you have two posts set up in a sandpit a certain distance apart. You have two horseshoes each and the idea is to stand one end and throw them to ring the post the other end, you then change ends. Only time I ever played I hurt my shoulder so didn't bother again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot, the liquor store was just like another aisle, very much as it is in England, it just had a separate cash desk. There was nothing to actually stop you picking up a bottle and walking all round the store with it. In NC they sell wine and beer in the grocery store, but not hard liquor.

    ReplyDelete