Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Politics, Dentists, Book

I hate politics and politicians. Having gone through a general election where a minority Conservative government was chosen by the voters, it now turns out that the remaining parties are planning a coalition in order to force out the Conservatives. If they can't come to power one way they will prostitute themselves to other parties to gain power another way. The picture shows, left to right, the NDP leader Jack Layton, Liberal leader Stéphane Dion and Bloc Québecois leader Gilles Duceppe. I can't believe in the first place that Stéphane Dion is still heading the Liberals after leading them to two election defeats and now they plan for him to lead the coalition. I don't talk, write or follow politics normally, but this whole situation is disgusting. Matt and I are being socially non existent today, we are both having work done on our teeth which will necessitate our non appearance in public. Trouble is we had to be at the dentists at 8:45 a.m. and as he is in another town, that meant arising before the crack of dawn in order to be on time. I do not like early rising. We have to go back again at 4 this afternoon. For all this unpleasantness we will have to pay a considerable sum. Our insurance pays some, but not, by any means, all. I am currently reading the Serpent Bride by Sarah Douglass which I am enjoying but is the kind of book you have to put down every now and again. I realise, reading it, I have read other books by Sarah Douglass. I am not quite sure which ones, but characters and events referred to are familiar to me. There is already a second book out in this particular series, not sure if it is just two books or whether she plans more. I am planning to make a chocolate cake next week, I got the recipe through my cookery group. I think I may have published it before, Senior Moment kicking in, but it is certainly a good cake and worth repeating. If there are any concerns with raw eggs and salmonella in your area, I suggest you avoid this recipe. We know it as: Tony's Mother's Chocolate Cake Make 24 hours in advance 10 oz caster sugar 10 oz unsalted butter 10 oz melted Bournville chocolate (any kind of good chocolate) 9 egg yolks 5 egg whites 1 Cream yolks and sugar for 15 minutes in mixer. 2 Mix butter with melted chocolate and add. 3 Beat egg whites until stiff and fold in. 4 Bake 2/3 of the mixture in a well-greased, push-up square tin, line with greaseproof paper, at Gas No 2 for 1½ hours. 5. Allow to cool. Pile raw mixture on top. Put in fridge to set and serve the following day.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment