Saturday, January 3, 2009

Hi-Lo Doubles, Dieting Again

Happy Saturday *g*. I am expecting everyone to keep their fingers crossed for me tomorrow as I am taking part in a bowling tournament. It is known as Hi-Lo Doubles and the idea is for my partner and me to get as many points above our averages as we can. I am the 'Lo' of the team so in some respects I have more opportunity to do well. We will be bowling at 11 a.m. and I do hope I can do better than I have been. This is where I am bowling. It is in fact our home alley. Luckily we are both going in with a lower average than current. The averages are set earlier in the bowling year, which helps. Yesterday I managed about 65 pins above over three games, so that wouldn't be too bad. I actually got on the scales this morning, wish I hadn't. Now I guess I need to pull up my socks and get cracking again. All those chocolates and Christmas goodies don't do me any good at all; Matt probably hasn't gained anything and he is trying to put a bit back. Funnily enough we were watching a programme with young chefs competing for a major prize. During one stage theywere judged by top chefs from Napa Valley, California. One of the competitors cut out cream and butter in his dish and a French chef on the panel said his reaction was kind of "what's the point?" My mother was always the same and I suppose I have inherited that tendency. The French tend not to serve such gargantuan portions as we do, especially in North America. I have ranted about that before. OK so I had better put my money where my mouth is and give you a Weight Watchers recipe we have had from way back. So far back, in fact, that it doesn't come with a points value. We used to make this quite a lot at one time, but here we don't get fresh fish easily, and I'm not sure I have ever seen plaice. Flounder would work. It suggests you skin the fish, but mostly one can buy fish skinned already if desired. These recipes are very easy and taste good. Plaice and Tomato Pinwheels Serves 2 12 oz plaice fillets 4 tsp made mustard (that's Coleman's mixed with water). You could use Dijon for a milder flavour 8 oz cherry tomatoes juice of 1 lemon 4 Tbs chopped parsley 1 tsp powdered rosemary 1/2 tsp salt and pepper Skin the fillets, slit in half lengthways and spread one side with mustard. Wrap each half fillet around a tomato, mustard side inwards. Secure with wooden cocktail sticks. Arrange the fillets in a shallow dish, sprinkle with lemon juice, parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bake in the over 400°F, for 15-20 minutes. Serve with French cucumber salad. French Cucumber Salad Serves 2 4 oz. cucumber, peeled and diced pinch mixed herbs 2 Tbs cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar) ground black pepper. Arrange the cucumber on the plate, mix the herbs with the vinegar and pepper and pour over the cucumber. As they are shown in the picture, I suppose I had better add the rest. Pineapple Sherbet. Serves 2 1 envelope gelatine 4 rings unsweetened pineapple 4 tbs pineapple juice 4 tbs lemon juice pinch powdered ginger. Dissolve the gelatine in a heatproof dish with 2 tbs water, over hot water. Place the pineapple rings and juice in a blender, blend until smooth. Add the dissolved gelatine. Blend for 2-3 minutes. Pour into 2 dessert glasses then chill and sprinkle with ginger. Have a great day.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm! If it didn't involve an oven I'd be tempted to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could probably do it in a microwave Satima.

    ReplyDelete