Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Twelfth Night, Patrick Swayze,

Apart from being the title of a Shakespeare Play, Twelfth Night or Epiphany in the church calendar, is the day when, traditionally, we take down our Christmas decorations. A job I hate. Some of its easy enough, but dismantling the tree and putting all the ornaments away is a pain in the you know where. However, January 6 and it has to be done. It looks so bare everywhere once everything is down. This is the one day I can sympathise with Scrooge. Of course, Tuesday is the day I volunteer at Canadian Diabetes, so with any luck, I will escape a lot of it. Evil laugh. Tonight on TV there is, apparently, an interview with Patrick Swayze by Barbara Walters (I've talked about her before) when he talks about his cancer which he has been battling for a year now. Patrick is/was one of my favourites, especially after Dirty Dancing and Ghost but he has certainly aged when you see his picture at the moment. He is also a member of the Church of Scientology - I don't know if that affects his medical history and treatment the way other religions do. So, as I have to go strip the tree, that's it for today. Here is another fish recipe from my original Weight Watchers cookbook Cod Steaks with Tomato and Pepper Sauce Serves 4 4 cod steaks (or any firm white fish) 4 Tbs lemon juice for the sauce 1 green pepper 1 red pepper 3 oz button mushrooms 1/2 UK (10 fl. oz)pint tomato juice 1/4 UK (5 fl. oz) pint water 1 chicken stock cube 1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp pepper 1 tsp oregano Grill the cod steaks, sprinkled with lemon juice, on both sides until cooked through. Serve with the sauce poured over. To make the sauce, wash and remove the stalks and seeds from the peppers, slice them into strips. Wash and slice the mushrooms. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil and add the peppers and mushrooms. Simmer until tender. Have a great day.

4 comments:

  1. Jo --

    Twelfth Night, yes. My decorations are down already. The French, unaware that decorations must come down today, will keep Paris' up and glittering deep into January still. Today though the French eat the "gallette des rois" - a round puff pastry cake with a charm in it; whoever gets the charm is "roi" for the evening and wears the golden paper crown that is sold with the cake.

    Happy Epiphany to you and yours, Jo.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Epiphany to you too Marilyn. I would like to eat a gallette des rois, I don't think we will be eating anything too exciting today.

    Jane, I saw your comment added to my blog of a previous date. I will be reading all this information you have sent in. Thank you. I am sorry to hear it isn't a "genuine" sanctuary, it seemed such an excellent scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for replying Jo. You're right, in theory the Tiger Temple does seem like paradise but it's definitely one of those things that's too good to be true. Tigers are powerful, wild, endangered creatures - it is unnatural to keep them captive as a tourist attraction, and the problems revealed in the investigation illustrate this point.
    Thanks for your interest and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a magnificent animal. Of course I only get to see them in zoos and at least they are better places these days. When I was a kid, the animals were all caged with no room to move.

    ReplyDelete