Thursday, July 23, 2009

Me Again, Scams,

Well, just to keep you up to date, I am now on some new pills which may cause headaches, may, ha!! I have had a headache for about two days now. The blurb says they will go, I do hope so. Have to see my family doc tomorrow so I will see what she has to say. Trouble is I have always been a migraine sufferer and sometimes this is developing into one. I wouldn't have enjoyed seeing Camelot yesterday anyway because of it. My friend told me it was very good and the voices were excellent. Just what I needed to hear. There was a segment on GMA this morning about scams being practiced on desperate home owners. Companies which offer to re-negotiate your mortgages and ask you for money up front. In fact all they are is an office with a bunch of telemarketers and no legal or financial experts at all. One of the things to beware of is when they do ask for money up front. You can watch the video segment by clicking here and see all the warnings. Corn is now coming on to the market in Canada although it maybe available in the Southern States already. Here is a recipe from Eating Well which sounds pretty good although I really enjoy corn on the cob. Corn with Bacon & Mushrooms Makes 6 servings, about 2/3 cup each Ingredients 2 slices bacon ½ cup thinly sliced shallots 3 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, such as oyster, shiitake and/or baby bella 4 ears corn, kernels cut from cob (see Tip) ¼ cup water ¼ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper 1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and chop. 2. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the pan. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to release their juices, about 3 minutes more. Add corn kernels and water and cook until the corn is tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in chopped bacon and season with salt and pepper. Tip: To remove kernels, stand a cob on its stem end in a bowl and slice them off with a sharp, thin-bladed knife. Have a great day.

4 comments:

  1. plenty of fresh corn here in Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you, its beginning to come in here though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erk, Jo - I hope they are right and that the headaches are a temporary phenomenon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are always crooks and thieves about, so the property scams do not surprise me.

    ReplyDelete