Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Labels, Soup, da Vinci.

I don't know if you've noticed my blogs haven't been having labels lately? Apparently I have exceeded the limit of 2,000 labels, I have, after all, written 645 blogs and have scattered labels indiscriminately. I am now trying to delete all the old labels with the exception of references to recipes although I have deleted dozens already and it still won't let me use labels; I didn't give out many recipes originally although in some cases I gave several. I must admit Blogger has a lot of restrictions, not least of which is the Adsense which it took away from me for some unknown reason (they don't tell you) and have never since allowed me to use again. I am contemplating starting a new blog and leaving this one behind. More on this later. This morning I finally strained the turkey soup and got rid of all the gubbins. It is now sitting in the fridge to allow the fat to solidify so I can remove it - once upon a time I wouldn't have bothered, but that was once upon a time. I won't overload the soup either, I like to taste the broth, not stick so much in the soup it is like eating a stew. Not sure when I will do that as I am out for another theatre trip tomorrow, last one this year I think. We still have a pile of turkey meat left and had Leek and Tomato Soup with sandwiches again last night. But I think that will soon get old. We both love turkey sandwiches, but there is obviously a limit. A fascinating story this morning on GMA - the art world believes it has found a previously unknown painting by Leonardo da Vinci. The painting has been known for a while, but was not attributed to him, now the experts are beginning to believe it was created by the master. They have found a print which they believe is his and which therefore authenticates it. If you would like to read the article and see a video click here to pursue this mystery. The painting is called Profile of the Bella Principessa and if verified will be the first of da Vinci's paintings found in 100 years. I like foods with Chinese or similar Asian overtones like this following one from Eating Well. Hawaiian Ginger-Chicken Stew From EatingWell: March/April 2009 This chicken stew has a bold ginger-flavored broth and provides a whole serving of dark leafy greens in each bowl. We tried it with frozen chopped mustard greens (available in large supermarkets) and it was even quicker to prepare and just as delicious. Serve with brown rice. 4 servings, about 1 cup each Ingredients * 1 tablespoon sesame oil, or canola oil * 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces * 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks or minced * 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced * 1/2 cup dry sherry, (see Tip) * 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth * 1 1/2 cups water * 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce * 1 teaspoon Asian red chile sauce, such as sriracha, or to taste * 1 bunch mustard greens, or chard, stemmed and chopped (6-7 cups), or 2 cups frozen chopped mustard greens Preparation 1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate with tongs. 2. Add ginger and garlic to the pot and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add sherry and cook until mostly evaporated, scraping up any browned bits, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and water, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Add soy sauce, chile sauce and mustard greens (or chard) and cook until the greens are tender, about 3 minutes. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pot and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Tips & Notes * Tip: “Cooking sherry” can be high in sodium. Instead, look for dry sherry with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting about the new Leonardo da Vinci. And silly rule about the labels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the label bit is causing me a headache. That's also how I have been finding comments from you that I missed in the old days.

    ReplyDelete