Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Rubies and Emeralds, Grace Kelly.

An interesting segment on Good Morning America today about rubies. Apparently there are a lot of composite rubies out there which even the retailers don't know are not genuine natural stones. GMA's reporter and a gemologist went to Macy's, 4 different stores, and bought rubies in each store click here to read the article. When analysed professionally only one of the stones turned out to be a genuine stone although they were assured by the sales people that they were real rubies. The implication wasn't that Macy's were selling synthetic stones knowingly, but that you can't tell easily even if you are a jeweller. The composite stones can be badly damaged by several household products and lemon juice. Plus they can fracture easily. They are not worth the price of a real ruby so buyer beware. Something I didn't know, a really good ruby is more expensive than a comparable white diamond. Emeralds, I did know, are very expensive. That is a stone I love as did my mother. I am lucky to possess an eternity ring with emeralds and diamonds in it which was my mother's. Not the best picture in the world, but you get the idea. It has 3 emeralds, 3 diamonds, 3 emeralds and so on, right round the ring. A lot of people think eternity rings mean something like eternal devotion, not so, it means an eternal pattern. Sorry to kill the romance if you didn't know. There is a new book out about Grace Kelly the film star who became Princess of Monaco. It's called High Society which was the name of one of the last, if not the last, movies she starred in. To read the article and an excerpt from the book click here. It is incredible to me that she died in 1982. A car crash, terrible tragedy, she was such a beautiful woman. Grace made several films in Hollywood before she gave it all up to marry Prince Ranier of Monaco. I had never thought of it, but it was very hard for her to adjust to the protocol of being a European princess. I had one of my regular emails from Food TV with several chocolate recipes which, of course, I can't resist. This one below is so easy with only 4 ingredients, I can't believe it. I am pretty sure it will become a standard dessert on my menus. Craggy Chocolate Cake French Food at Home Yield: 8 7 oz 70% chocolate, chopped 7 oz butter, softened 4 x eggs, separated 1 cup sugar Directions: 1. Heat the oven to 375°F/190°C. Line with parchment, grease, and flour an 8-inch/22 cm springform pan. 2. Melt the chocolate gently over a water bath, then beat in the butter a piece at a time until smooth. In a separate bowl, beat the yolks with half the sugar until thick, pale, and ribbony. In yet another bowl, beat the whites to peaks. Scatter over the remaining sugar and beat to a stiff meringue. 3. Slowly whisk the chocolate mixture into the yolk mixture. Stir in a spoonful of egg white, then pour the chocolate mixture over the egg whites and gently fold together with a spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 50 minutes. 4. Remove from the oven. Run a knife around the outside edge, then let sit until cool. It will sink down and the top will crack, appealingly. Serve with a drift of slightly sweetened whipped cream, flavoured with vanilla, rum, or orange flower water. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. I would have thought that we know everything about Grace Kelly that there is to know. Writing about her children so often, I am quite sick of this family so will not be buying this book.

    Must stay away from the chocolate cake or I will be fat for Cmas ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already fat for Christmas so doesn't make much difference.

    Maybe you get more about Grace Kelly than we do, or maybe I have not noticed it. I won't buy the book either, but I might get it from the library.

    ReplyDelete