Friday, December 18, 2009

Blog2Print or Shared Books, Weather Difficulties.

Having more time today, I have finished making my Blog Books up to June 2009. As I started blogging in October 2007, I ended up with three books. These are now sitting in a folder on my computer and cost me approximately $23 for all of them. Now I am thinking about printing. I haven't checked them all, but the first book is about 426 pages which is the best part of a ream of paper not to mention the ink this would take up. Do I really want to do this, I am having to think about it very serious. I have, in fact, 2 reams of paper with punched holes in the sides which I would like too use up and which would work very well for this project, but ink is another matter, it is, as I am sure you know, pretty expensive stuff. One can also share these books with others and do all kinds of stuff with them. Just to see what it looked like I printed the cover page of the first book. At the top is the name of my blog, at the side it shows the dates from-to. Having downloaded them I have found the pictures actually moved around somewhat, and I don't think I can change them now. I'm not sure, I will have to look into it. I heard that Satima (Satima's Blogspot) has made herself a book too. On the news this morning, something like 2,000 passengers has been stuck in the Channel Tunnel, known as the Chunnel to most Brits. Apparently the Eurostar trains were never designed to cope with the extreme differences between the warmth of the Chunnel and the freezing temps all over Europe at the moment. There was talk of passengers being stuck for 11 hours. Not funny if you have the faintest touch of chlaustrophobia, but then maybe you wouldn't have taken the trip if you had. According to an article on line at http://www.guardian.co.uk/ four trains have broken down due to the temperatures. and people have been evacuated. I gather Europe is having a really bad time with winter weather at the moment, somewhat worse than here and they are less prepared for it. There is a storm heading up the Eastern Seaboard in North America at the moment, but I think it will miss us, I am pleased to say. Sorry for the Easterners though, so far they have had lots of snow in Boston and Philadelphia according to the news reports. This was in a recipe from Crisco this morning and I like the look of it. I am not quite sure why you would take the gills out of the mushrooms, but that's what it says. Portobello Mushroom and Goat Cheese Crostini Crisco Canada Makes: 16 pieces MUSHROOMS 2 tbsp (30mL) Crisco® Canola or Vegetable Oil 1 onion, chopped 2 cloves garlic, chopped 1 lb (500g) portobello mushrooms, trimmed and sliced 1 tbsp or 1 tsp (15mL or 5mL) chopped fresh thyme or dried ½ tsp (2mL) salt ¼ tsp (1mL) pepper 2 tbsp (30mL) chopped fresh basil GOAT CHEESE 4 oz /½ cup (125g/125mL) goat cheese, softened 2 tbsp (30mL) unflavoured yogurt or sour cream 2 tbsp (30mL) chopped chives 1 clove garlic, minced BREAD 1 baguette, cut into 16 slices ¼ cup (50mL) Crisco Canola or Vegetable Oil 1. Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook gently for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme, stirring until the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in basil. Keep mixture warm by covering with foil. Mixture can also be made 2 hours ahead and rewarmed on low heat. 2. Combine ingredients for goat cheese in bowl. This can be made a day ahead and refrigerated until ready to use. Allow mixture to reach room temperature before using. 3. Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Place bread on baking sheet. Brush with oil. Bake in preheated oven 8-10 minutes, until lightly golden. 4. Spread 1 tsp (5mL) goat cheese mixture on each slice of toasted bread. Top with 1 tbsp (15mL) mushroom mixture. Serve warm or room temperature. TIPS: • This is a delicious holiday appetizer. • To clean mushrooms, gently remove the gills on the underneath of the mushroom with a spoon. Rub them with a damp paper towel. Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment