Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Pork, Pork and more Pork.

This isn't going to be very long today as we have been shopping all morning, along with the rest of the world I think. It is now almost lunchtime and I am the proud possessor of 7 kgs of pork leg. The thing will take me about 7 hours to cook. I didn't mean to get anything quite so big, but after all the hassle we have been through, I wasn't about to quibble. Of course it does take up a lot of room in the fridge, so its lucky I am only doing a turkey breast as I wouldn't have enough room for anything. I hope we have everything we need for the next two days, although Matt couldn't get his preferred beer at the liquor store so will have to pop down tomorrow. I have just remembered I didn't buy any apple sauce either - damn.
I am giving the recipe for roasting pork, although obviously mine will take a lot longer so I will be up at the crack of dawn on Boxing Day (Dec. 26). I don't know how much blogging I will be doing over the holiday so don't be surprised if I don't have time to write one.
Roast Leg of Pork
Source: Cook it Simply ingredients serves 8 - 10 2.7 - 3.2 kg (6 - 7 lb) leg of pork, rind scored oil, for brushing salt and freshly ground black pepper 425 ml (15 fl oz) vegetable or chicken stock 30 ml (2 tbsp) flour 25 g (1 oz) butter method 1 Remove the leg of pork from the refrigerator 3 hours before you plan to cook it so it can come to room temperature. 2 Heat the oven to 200°C (400°F) gas 6. Lightly brush the surface of the pork rind with oil and rub in salt and pepper 3 Put the leg in a large roasting tray and cook for 3 1/4 - 3 3/4 hours without basting to make the crackling really crisp. increase the temperature for the last 15 minutes if necessary. Test to check the pork is cooked by piercing the thickest part with a fine skewer: the juices should run clear. 4 Transfer the meat to a serving platter and keep warm. Make the gravy: remove any excess fat from the juices in the pan. Add the stock and bring to the boil, scraping to dislodge any crusty bits. Reduce the heat. 5 Mash the flour and butter together to form a paste and add, a bit at a time, to the gravy. Simmer for 2 - 3 minutes until thickened and season with salt and pepper. Have a great day

No comments:

Post a Comment