Saturday, March 27, 2010

Time Travel, Travel League, Sex Scandal,

Last night I finally got round to my last movie rented from iTunes, The Time Traveler's Wife. I read the book some time ago and as far as I remember the movie stuck pretty well to the book. I loved the movie and felt a tad weepy at the end. Its a really good love story as well as being a fantasy. Not a very long movie either which was quite surprising. Its about a New York librarian who time travels quite involuntarily and meets his wife, originally, when she is about 6 years old and continues to meet her through the ages until they meet properly in the library one day at which point he doesn't know her because he hasn't yet travelled to where he met her. Confusing, yes, delightful, yes. Do watch it.
I really bowled up a storm yesterday and was very pleased with myself. One game I bowled a 273 and might have done better but let myself get distracted in the last frame. Was I chuffed. Matt bowled pretty well too so we were both patting ourselves on the backs. I discovered that one of the Friday bowlers is going to the same tournament in Oshawa and he will be my partner. I didn't even know we had partners. It appears we are scored both individually and together. I must check this out with the alley staff on Monday. Thursday we went to New Hamburg, Riverside Lanes, with our travel league much to the astonishment of the proprietor who was not expecting us. Apparently they withdrew from the travel league and no-one had bothered to inform us. Luckily he had space for us all and we had a good afternoon. It now turns out that the only alley involved in travelling is Waterloo Lanes where we usually bowl, and the most active league is from Playfair Bowl which no longer exists, but a whole bunch of us, who used to bowl there, still go to all these different alleys once a month. We have decided that the ex proprietor will arrange for us all to bowl at a different alley every month (during the winter season) so we can continue our get togethers. There is only one more this season, so it will be up to her next winter. We even have a bowling banquet although as I said, Playfair Bowling Lanes no longer exist.
I mentioned the sex scandals involving Catholic Priests the other day, but the scandal seems to be escalating and even includes the current Pope who, whilst a cardinal in Germany, was involved in a cover up of a case where a priest was accused of molesting over 200 deaf kids. People are talking about his resignation, and there is an article http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/pope-benedict-fired-growing-sex-abuse-cover-ups/story?id=10200682 which is titled "Only God Can Fire the Pope" which makes me wonder, the College of Cardinals elected him, why can't they vote him out again? I am not religious and certainly not a Roman Catholic, but this scandal is assuming alarming proportions and turning catholics away from their own priests, wondering if they too are involved in pedophaelia. What a disaster for everyone involved and the Catholic church in particular.
I frequently make Shrimp Creole which is a delicious way of serving shrimp, this recipe from Kraft Kitchens looks like an easy way of preparing it which normally takes quite a bit of time. It would certainly save lots of that commodity which appears to be in such short supply in many households. In my case I would use the shrimp I brought up from North Carolina which are not peeled. Quick Creole Shrimp
Kraft Kitchens 1 lb. (450 g) frozen uncooked cleaned large shrimp, thawed
1 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning 1/4 cup Kraft Extra Virgin Olive Oil Sun Dried Tomato Dressing 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
TOSS shrimp with seasoning. HEAT medium skillet on medium-high heat. Add dressing and garlic; cook and stir 1 min. STIR in shrimp; cook 2 to 3 min. or until done. Top with parsley.
Serve with hot cooked brown rice and peas.
Shortcut When every minute counts, substitute 1 Tbsp. bottled minced garlic for the minced fresh garlic.
Have a great weekend

2 comments:

  1. Your recipe today sounds almost too easy to be true. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

    About the priests, the post etc. Are you surprised?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it does look easy doesn't it?

    Well I suppose I am a bit surprised, maybe naive too.

    You have been a busy bee writing comments today.

    ReplyDelete