Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Snow, Bowling,

We had all kinds of snow warnings, blizzards, etc. etc. on Sunday night, Monday we got up to light snow only. Nothing much at all. Very unusual for us at this time of the year especially when you hear what’s happening in other parts of the world. Even our granddaughter is bored with the snow!!! Personally I am not complaining, although I do enjoy seeing the park outside our windows all lovely and white. This  morning in fact, we do have some snow, but not very much, the roads are already clear and the park is only just about covered.

Because of my cold, I didn’t go bowling on Monday, didn’t figure it was fair to sneeze at everyone, so I stayed at home and vegged out. I think I had better not go bowling with Matt, every time I doBowling Pinsn’t go he bowls up a storm. He had a 600 total yesterday and was as pleased as punch. He gets so teed off with himself when he bowls badly, he knows he can do better and having been a sports man all his life, he cannot accept things might be slowing down a bit. Now me, I’ve never been a sports woman so it things go well I am delighted, but otherwise philosophical – as our team leader says, its only a game.

I have mentioned before that I belong to an internet group which is primarily interested in cooking. This morning one of them posted a link to a YouTube video which I thought was great so I am going to link it to another post this morning.

Funny I was only saying to Matt last night that we hadn’t had Portobello mushrooms in a long time and lo and behold here is a nice looking recipe for them.

Tomato-&-Olive-Stuffed Portobello Caps

Source: © EatingWell Magazine

4 servings

Portobello caps make excellent mini casseroles. Here, they hold a tomato, cheese and olive stuffing that grills up to a smoky perfection. Serve them with whole-wheat couscous and a mixed green salad for an easy meal.


INGREDIENTSTomato & Olive Portobello

2/3 cup chopped plum tomatoes

1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives

1 teaspoon minced garlic

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided

1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary or 1/8 teaspoon dried

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

4 portobello mushroom caps, 5 inches wide

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce

Tip: To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.

DIRECTIONS

Combine tomatoes, cheese, olives, garlic, 1 teaspoon oil, rosemary and pepper in a small bowl.

Preheat grill to medium.

Discard mushroom stems. Remove brown gills from the undersides of the caps using a spoon; discard gills. Mix the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, lemon juice and soy sauce in a small bowl. Brush the mixture over both sides of the caps.

Oil a grill rack (see Tip). Place the caps on the rack, stem sides down, cover and grill until soft, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and fill with the tomato mixture. Return to the grill, cover, and cook until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes more.

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment