Monday, August 29, 2011

Irene, Supper, Bowling.

I am glad to say that my friends appear to have survived pretty well during the attack by hurricane Irene over the weekend. There was a lot of damage and flooding all up the East Coast of the States and Canada will be getting the aftermath although Irene did start to fall apart by the time it reached New York. The Governor of New Jersey was saying there would be secondary flooding from the backed up creeks and rivers, the extent of which would not be kBogue Piernown too quickly. This applies to all the States in Irene’s path. We were told by one friend that Bogue Pier which is a feature of Emerald Isle where we stay on vacation, had been destroyed, however, another friend said it was just the end of the pier, an actual report says about 200 ft. were lost – they hope to rebuild. I have emailed Bogue Inlet Pier’s website to ask them. I don’t suppose we will be able to walk out on it when we go there on vacation. This morning on TV there are lots of pictures of flooding especially in New York and surrounding States. Quite horrific pictures.

One report this morning said there has been $1 billion’s worth of damage from Irene. Does that include the little people I wonder. A friend lost his boat – he found it but is not sure he can rescue it. I hope it was insured.

We went to a friend’s home for supper last night and had a very enjoyable evening. She had invited a mutual friend plus one of her girlfriends whom we had met once before. I indulged in Pecan Pie which is really good for diabetics!!!!! I enjoyed it though. Haven’t eaten pecan pie for a long time. I have also made it once or twice, but again, not for a very long time. Luckily my readings this morning weren’t too bad.

Today we start our new bowling season. We will bowl today and then next Monday is a holiday, and My Ballthe following two Mondays we will be on vacation. Bit pointless although we will get a couple of Friday games in. Thursday we have our tournament in Chatham – have to get up really early for that one. Leaving about 7 a.m. I guess, so wish us luck. Not sure if there will be a Thursday blog or not.

I promised to share the recipes sent by Mushrooms Canada when they sent me my apron the other day. Here is the first one. I think it looks rather delicious.

Quick Mushroom and Cheese Toasties

1Tbs vegetable oilMushroom & Cheese Toasties

1 package (250 g) white or crimini mushrooms, sliced

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 English muffins, split

4 tsp. tomato sauce or paste

1.8 oz. mature cheddar cheese, grated.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the mushrooms and cook over a high heat for 4-5 mins. or until the mushrooms are golden brown. Remove from the heat and season to taste.

Preheat the grill. Place the muffins, cut side up, on the grill rack and toast on both sides. Place cut side up and spread some of the tomato sauce/paste on each muffin. Top with the mushrooms and a sprinkling of cheese.

Cook the muffins under the hot grill for 1-2 mins. until golden brown and the cheese is bubbling. Serve hot.

4 servings.

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment