Tuesday, August 23, 2011

RIP Jack, Gold Prices,

Jack LaytonI was sorry to hear NDP leader Jack Layton died  of cancer early yesterday morning. I hadn’t realised he was that ill, the publicity certainly didn’t give us that impression. I don’t know what kind of cancer he had, originally he had prostate cancer which was treated then he announced he had a new bout of cancer and had to step down from the party leadership. At our last election he made a big killing in Quebec. His politics were not mine, but I liked him just the same, he certainly had charisma. The party and the country will miss him. I learned later he was 61, not very old, but then as Matt said, cancer doesn’t care how old you are.

As most of you will know, gold prices have been reaching the moon,scrap gold its just short of $2,000 an ounce right now. I remember when America came off the gold standard it was $35 an ounce. That being said, Matt was telling me tonight that thieves are ripping bracelets and necklaces, etc. off people in the streets as well as breaking into jewellery stores and stealing gold from them. They then melt it all down so no one can tell where it came from, presumably they then sell it – to buy drugs perhaps. I sold a lot of gold a couple of years ago, I should have waited, but who knew? I still have some pieces I wear but now I am scared to, not that I walk in the streets very often.

I promised Devilled Kidneys and here they are. I was glad to hear at least one of my readers eats the things I talked about yesterday, including kidneys.

Devilled Kidneys

Devilled Kidneys

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs prepared English mustard (Colmans)
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs tomato purée
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and ground black pepper
2 Tbs butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
8 lamb's kidneys, skinned, halved and cored
1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley to garnish

1. Mix the first 6 ingredients together (including salt and pepper) to make a sauce.

2. Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the chopped shallot and cook stirring occasionally, until it is softened but not coloured.

3. Stir the kidney halves into the shallots in the pan and cook over medium high heat for about 3 mins on each side.

4. Pour the sauce over the kidneys and quickly stir so that they become evenly coated. Serve immediately sprinkled with fresh parsley.

Servings: 4

Note: To remove the cores from the kidneys use sharp kitchen scissors rather than a knife. Much easier.

Source: The Ultimate Hot and Spicy Cookbook

Author Notes
"Devilled" dishes are always hot and spicy. If you have time, mix the spicy ingredients together in advance to give the flavours time to mingle.

Have a great day

Jo_thumb[2]

2 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks really good, Jo!

    I have the darnedest time getting lamb out here, in Beef and pork country, I can imagine the difficulty in ordering kidneys that don't cost more than my entire food budget, lol!

    Ps, have you read Glenda's newest book? I have it but I haven't had the chance to read it yet. Too many review books piled up right now. Sigh...

    Sia McKye's Thoughts...OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can get local lamb here if you have that much money in the bank. However, kidneys aren't too bad. 26kidneys cost me $12.50. However, I generally buy NZ lamb.

    Yup, I've read Glenda's book, good as usual. Can't understand why she can't find a publisher for her WOP.

    ReplyDelete