Wednesday, November 23, 2011

R.I.P. Anne McCaffery, Drilling and Dumpsters, Medical, 97 yrs. old.

I was so very sorry to hear of the death of Anne Dragons of PernMcCaffery who was one of my favourite authors of all time. She was 85 and had a stroke at her home in Ireland. Her son, Tod, has already started writing Pern books so her legend will go on, although his stories tend to be a bit harsher. My email address uses the name of one of her many dragon queens and I have all her books and so far all the ones her son has written. As someone commented on Facebook “her final journey ‘between’ she will be missed”.

I am going to be moaning and groaning about this noise for the next 2-3 weeks. Which noise? The frenetic woodpecker who is drilling, apparently, right above my head. They say the sound gets distorted so the drilling could be elsewhere, but……… Having written this, I had to go out and went down to the garage, it is much worse down there. It sounds as though they are drilling right through the ceiling – I guess a lot of the work is taking place in the garbage area which is why we cannot use the chutes. dumpsterTrouble is they have the big garbage dumpsters outside for us to use, but, in the first place they are quite high and in the second place the lids are heavy so there are lots of people in this building who will not be strong enough, or fit enough, to lift the lids and heave their garbage inside. This is the only pic I could find of the exact type of dumpster, graffiti and all, LOL

Having written yesterday about mammograms, damned if I don’t have to go and have one today all because of chest pain. I don’t think anyone thinks its cancer, but it’s a ‘cover all bases’ type of test. In fact I understand from all the sources I have ever come across, including my doc yesterday, cancer doesn’t hurt until the last stages, also one loses weight, doctor said you lose your appetite which I guess explains the weight loss. I sure haven’t lost my appetite or lost any weight. In fact reading up on this, females having similar chest pains can be totally unexplained and in some cases last up to two years and then just disappear. Thanks a bunch for goutthat info. Such pains can also be caused by arthritis in the chest??? I didn’t know that could happen. Talking of arthritis, it turns out Matt has it in his toe, that used to be called gout, LOL. I hasten to add that Matt is not even remotely overweight and they once thought gout was due to heavy drinking, no idea it was arthritis. If you are fairly young, reading this, you have no idea what you could be in for, of course you could be one of the lucky ones. One of the frequent phrases heard in this building, “ain’t old age wonderful” or something to that effect.

Talking of age, yesterday, at the bowling alley, they had a birthday celebration and cake for one of our seniors, she was 97 yrs. old. She is incredible, bowls twice a week, line dances and plays ping pong. (Table tennis). She is absolutely tiny too. Lucky woman to be so fit at her age.

The recipe below is from Hershey’s and looks delicious, but Matt will tell you anything with chocolate looks delicious to me. Friends are talking cookie baking so I thought this recipe might be appreciated.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookieschoc chip cookies

Ingredients

2 1/4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour

1/3 cup HERSHEY®'S Cocoa

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

2 cups (12 oz. pkg.) HERSHEY®'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY®'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Directions
  1. Heat oven to 375°F.
  2. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in large bowl on medium speed of mixer until creamy. Add eggs; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well. Stir in chocolate chips. Add nuts, if desired. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
  3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. About 5 dozen cookies.

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment