Monday, January 9, 2012

Eggs, Garlic, TV and Bowling.

Jacques PepinYears ago I watched one of my favourite chefs, Jacques Pepin, giving demonstrations of various cooking techniques. One I have always remembered and used, was how to hard boil eggs. You start by pricking a hole in the thicker end of the egg. Place it in cold water, bring it to the boil, simmer for 10 minutes, then chill in cold water. I have never had a problem since I started using this technique. Matt doesn’t quite follow the same method so often ends up with a cracked shell or two. Jacques Pepin used to join Julia Child on her programmes quite frequently. I have been hunting for the video about techniques for a long while but never been able to find it. If anyone happens to know about it, post a comment please.

Saturday morning I spent peeling garlic, 4 large cloves, what a pain, Garlic3but once its done it means I have peeled garlic available for a good long time, I have written before that I put it in a Mason jar with a piece of paper towel on top to absorb the moisture and then screw the lid on tight. In the fridge this lasts me several months and is a joy especially if you are in a hurry. It wasn’t until I looked it up I realised the last lot had been peeled on March 14, 2011 and the jar is even fuller this time. Its amazing that the garlic seems as fresh at the end as when we first peel it.

Downton Abbey 2The new season of Downton Abbey started last night, I love the show, I think it is extremely well done and enjoyed every minute of the 2 hour season premiere. This second season takes place during the First World War, starting in 1917, the action, not the war. I was staggered at one scene that there was a report of someone being shot for cowardice. I didn’t remember that such things were done. How dreadful for the family. Also, two of the Abbey’s staff were given white feathers signifying cowardice because they were not at the front. People were so cruel, yes I guess people are so cruel.

Matt went to the Hi-Lo Doubles bowling tournament yesterday morning, I was supposed to bowl in it too, but was unable to which teed me off I can tell you. Apparently he didn’t bowl that well, nor did his partner. Pity. I was in this tournament once before and I did get through, I was annoyed I wasn’t allowed to be in it for a couple of years, this year I was permitted and then to have to back out because of being unwell. Grrrrr.

When I first tried grits I didn’t think too much of them, however, they have gradually grown on me so that when I saw this recipe I was immediately interested. My favourite is actually shrimp and grits, but this sounds good.

Goat Cheese Grits with Fresh Corn

WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com

Take grits upscale by adding fresh corn, goat cheese and chives.

Servings: 6

goat_cheese_grits_with_fresh_cornRecipe Ingredients:

  1. 3 cups water
  2. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  3. 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  4. 3/4 cup quick grits, (not instant; see Tips)
  5. 1 cup fresh corn kernels, (about 1 large ear; see Tips) or frozen
  6. 3/4 cup cup crumbled goat cheese, (3 ounces), divided
  7. 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh chives, or scallion greens
Recipe Steps:
  1. Bring water, salt and pepper to a boil in a large saucepan. Slowly pour in grits, stirring constantly. Stir in corn; return to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in half the goat cheese and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in chives (or scallions). Serve each portion sprinkled with some of the remaining cheese.
Recipe Nutrition:

Per serving: 156 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono ); 11 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 277 mg sodium; 124 mg potassium.

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment