Saturday, October 6, 2012

Refunds, Free Books, Bowling.

Thursday we received our annual check from the electric company in NC which Refundwe used for a number of years. Because it is a co-operative one earns a small amount of profit which they pay back. In our case, we left NC with them owing us $500 but the only way they would pay this sum is if Matt died it would be paid to his estate, instead, they waste time, effort and money by sending us a cheque of roughly $12 a year (sometimes more, sometimes less). Seems daft to me, but then the teller I was talking to said its ‘cos they were using our money, much in the same way the Canadian government doesn’t give us all our tax refunds in one lump any more but divvies it up each month. In a way I actually quite like that, its always nice to get a little extra cash every month. At least we get the whole amount in one year, not spread over many years. This year my refund from NC lost money in translation as the Canadian dollar is so strong. If only it had been this strong when we lived there.

According to my blogging friends, Friday at least, they are giving away free ebooks of their works. If you check with Alex J. Cavanaugh he lists the free books which are available now. I downloaded a couple but then read the blog by Rusty Webb who’s book War Angel is one of the free books today and he confesses it isn’t terribly well typed although many alterations have been made in the last couple of days. Rusty writes as Rusty Carl in case there is any confusion.

We went bowling again on Friday afternoon. I was very disappointed to learn th5-pinat the guy who runs Friday bowling would not be back again. He is going for a knee replacement and he pointed out to me, I certainly never thought of it, but it is necessary to go on one’s knees periodically to untangle pins which he will no longer be able to do. We will all miss him, he was great fun.

For supper tonight I will be cooking one of my three turkey breasts specially Turkey Breastimported from NC where turkey is so much cheaper than here. Monday is actually our Thanksgiving, but we bowl then, so Saturday is the best day for the two of us. Monday will also be for the Thanksgiving Parade which I hope will be all over by the time we are heading to the bowling alley. I once encountered a parade on my way to work and had to go miles out of my way to get where I wanted to go. Not funny. Doesn’t that picture look good. I hope I feel the same when I have cooked the dicky bird (sorry English expression). Of course I have the ingredients for bread sauce simmering on the stove too which will help, along with my gravy.

This recipe arrived in my inbox and I thought it sounded somewhat different and rather tasty. A very different take on bread pudding. I think my funny taste buds would enjoy this.

Ham, Gruyere & Spinach Bread Pudding

Source: © EatingWell Magazine
6 servings

High-quality smoked ham is worth the cost. It infuses the pudding with a smoky Ham Gruyere Spinach Puddingflavor that complements the spinach, peppers, rosemary and Gruyere.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the pudding through Step 3; refrigerate overnight. Let stand at room temperature while the oven preheats. Bake as directed in Step 4.
INGREDIENTS

For Custard:

4 large egg whites

4 large eggs

1 cup skim milk

For Seasonings:

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary

For Bread & filling:

4 cups whole-grain bread, crusts removed if desired, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1/2 pound, 4-6 slices)

5 cups chopped spinach, wilted (see Tip)

1/2 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers

1 cup diced ham steak (5 ounces)

For Topping:

3/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese

Tip: To wilt greens, rinse greens thoroughly in cool water. Transfer them to a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and punch several holes in the wrap. Microwave on high until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Squeeze out any excess moisture from the greens before adding them to the recipe.

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat an 11-by-7-inch glass baking dish or a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.

To prepare custard: Whisk egg whites, eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Add mustard, pepper and rosemary: whisk to combine.

Toss bread, spinach, roasted red peppers and ham in a large bowl. Add the custard and toss well to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and push down to compact. Cover with foil.

Bake until the custard has set, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and continue baking until the pudding is puffed and golden on top, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.

Have a great weekend.

Jo

3 comments:

  1. Twelve dollars a year? Now that's just goofy.
    Thanks for mention the books on my site, especially Rusty's! He is an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, ridiculous isn't it?

      I downloaded Rusty's book. Looking forward to reading it.

      Delete
  2. Funny I just realised I wrote check instead of cheque. Getting really Americanized.

    ReplyDelete