Saturday, November 24, 2012

Books, Movie, This ‘n That.

Woods of WindriNot sure what started me looking but I was checking out some books of which I have a few and would love to have the rest. They are children’s books by an English author, Violet Needham. Stories I loved such as The House of the Paladin and The Woods of Windri. I think I actually read most of them as a child, but don’t have more than about 4 of them. I couldn’t believe the prices, on Amazon. In most cases they are second hand books and yet they are asking $40 or $50. I checked Amazon.UK and they too are asking high prices with the exception of one used paperback which is going for a penny. Wonder what’s wrong with it? I just looked at Amazon Canada and they too are charging fantastic, to me, prices. Maybe I should be selling, not buying! Just checked on another children’s favourite, The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Gouge and I can buy that for a penny. I had my original copy of that book for many years, I coloured the pictures and read it from cover to cover a million times. Somewhere along the way, I lost it which was very sad to me. I bought a new copy, but it wasn’t the same as my original book.

Just watched My Fair Lady, hadn’t seen it in a number of years. Rex Harrison is My Fair ladybrilliant. I did enjoy Audrey Hepburn too, but just discovered a few things tonight, not least of which, her voice, singing at least,was dubbed. Apparently Warner Bros. didn’t think Julie Andrews, who created the role on stage, had a film presence so wouldn’t hire her for the movie. The movie won all kinds of awards except for Audrey Hepburn who lost out to Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins. No screen presence eh? Of course I ended up in tears at the end, I always do. I have never seen the play Pygmalion from which My Fair Lady was adapted, but from what I have been reading, I am not sure there is a love interest between Henry Higgins and Eliza Doolittle.

Friday bowling turned out pretty good for me and once again I hadn’t planned on going. I am not looking forward to my angioplasty on the 30th, but if it will stop my legs hurting and let me walk again, well more than a few footsteps, I shall be more than pleased. It was damned cold today and on the way home we had spots of rain. They have been talking snow, no sign of it yet, but we shall see.

Gt. Barrier ReefGot our first Christmas card on Friday. The friend who sent it is local, but she is swanning around Australia at the moment and won’t be back til almost Christmas so I guess she mailed them early or got someone to mail them for her. Probably her sister. She posted on FB that they were going to the Barrier Reef today which made Matt green with envy, that’s a place where he has always wanted to dive. Not likely to happen now though, even if we got to Australia I don’t think either of us are fit enough. Cousteau made it through late in life, but he was diving all the time. Matt hasn’t been in the water for many years now although he continues to exercise with small weights.

I love Pecan Pie. I don’t make a lot of pies, but that I have made a few times. This recipe is apparently the French version.

Pecan Tart

Source: Le Cordon Bleu Home Collection - Tarts & Pastries

Serves 8

Click here to find out more!This French version of the classic Southern pecan pie uses a rich, sweet pastryPecan Tart baked in the distinctive tart pan. The filling, however, remains the same - simply superb - especially when served with whipped cream.
INGREDIENTS

3/4 quantity Sweet Pastry Dough

For Filling:

2 eggs

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

2/3 cup light corn syrup

2/3 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar

1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped

1 teaspoon vanilla

Pinch of salt

Other necessary recipes: Sweet Pastry Dough

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 325° F. Roll the dough out to 1/8-inch thick and line a 1-inch deep, 9-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom.

FOR FILLING: Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add the salt, butter, corn syrup, brown sugar and vanilla and mix until well combined.

Sprinkle the pecans over the base of the pastry shell, then pour in the filling. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the filling has just set. If the filling puffs up too much, reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.

Leave in the pan for 5 minutes, or until cool enough to handle. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely.

CHEF'S TIP: The pecans can be left whole or use almost any nut, such as walnuts, hazelnuts or macadamias.

Have a great weekend

Jo

2 comments:

  1. That's crazy to charge so much for a physical book. Glad eBooks go for much, much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is they were old books, I have one which was printed in 1947. I guess that starts making them collectibles. I sitll wouldn't want to pay that kind of money though. Imagine the author is no longer with us either.

      Delete