Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Camera, Earring, No Desktop.

MinoltaMatt, who does not believe in digital cameras, has had a Minolta 49 mm for a number of years and on vacation it wouldn’t work properly. He finally got round to taking it to the camera shop last week and we have just found out that it is the circuitry board which needs replacing at a cost of $125. I guess it was an expensive camera in the first place, but that’s still a hefty repair bill. Then you have to pay for developing too whenever you use a roll of film, which of course, you have to buy. He just will not believe that a really good digital camera works as well as his camera. Oops, I have just seen one of these cameras on eBay which went for $16. Second hand of course. His previous camera had lenses up the kazoo including one which was almost a foot long. Being a point and shoot girl, I could never understand bothering with all that stuff. For many years, he would only take slides too. I have been meaning to get a lot of slides put on a CD, it would cost about $20 to get 200 done. Trouble is, sorting out the ones we want, there are so many and he has some good pictures. 

Whoopee my earring has been found. Phoned the superintendent’s wife and someone had handed it in to her. They were off this weekend and although I asked the assistant super, he obviously didn’t check the office as he said he would. I am so pleased because it’s a pair a wear a lot and I would have been sorry to not do so any more.

Well I have lost my desktop for a few days. Basically the dust from the flooring the other day has cause problems with my modem or possibly my motherboard. I hope its just the modem. I gather most people don’t use telephone modems any more, but as I am not loaded down with cell phones of one kind or another, I like to be able to make calls from my computer. Saves me dialling so many flaming numbers especially as in our part of Ontario we have to dial the area code even for local calls. I don’t know why they did that, when they ran out of space on the exchange in North Carolina when we lived there, they added a new area code, here they just made us dial the area code as well.

Caramel and nuts, what could be wrong with that?

Caramel Nut Tart

Farberware Cooking Classes

This delicious Caramel Nut Tart has a heartwarming, melt in your mouth finish. The traditional fall flavor makes this the perfect way to end your Thanksgiving Day Caramel Nut Tartfeast.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups mixed toasted almonds, pecans and walnuts
  • ¾ cup unsifted all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ cup unsalted cold butter, cut in large pieces
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • ¾ cup butterscotch caramel topping
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Vanilla ice cream
  • Mint leaves

Directions:

In large bowl of Black & Decker Food Processor, coarsely chop nuts. Remove 1 cup and set aside. Add confectioners’ sugar, salt and butter to remaining chopped nuts in processor bowl. Using pulse, process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg yolks and process to blend. Press against sides and bottom of ungreased 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Bake in preheated oven at 350º F for 20 minutes, until edges begin to lightly brown.

Meanwhile, combine remaining 1 cup nuts, whole egg, topping, heavy cream and vanilla. Stir to blend. Pour into prepared shell.

Bake 25 minutes or until filling is set. Remove to wire rack to cool.

Serve topped with ice cream or whipped cream and mint leaves.

Have a great day

Jo

6 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be without my digital camera especially as I mostly photograph animals/birds who don't sit and pose nicely ... need to just point and shoot most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a fact Matt often fiddles around for ages getting the right exposures, etc.

      Delete
  2. Sorry about your laptop.
    Tell your husband he is going to have to break down and get a digital camera one of these days. Even my iPad takes pretty good photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Desktop Alex!!!

      Don't think he ever will. He doesn't believe digitals are any good plus he is a total dummy with anything computerised.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - glad you found your earring .. machinery going wrong is not convenient at all .. and like you I have to sort out all my extra stuff that hasn't got done yet - one day in December I think for that job ... seeing if I need still ...

    I took some photos out at Batemans today (Kiplings House) .. blog post following I'll see how they pan out - on my iphone, low light as they protect everything and gloomy autumn day - though the trees are magnificent right now .. orange glows ..

    Caramel Nut Tart sounds very delicious .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always something isn't there?

      Batemans sounds interesting, will look forward to your blog.

      Delete