Friday, February 22, 2013

Rhino Poaching

I think I’ve got a cold. but, I don’t get colds, I DO NOT GET COLDS. How could this possibly happen? I’m not happy. Later I decided it could be allergies but as I am constantly blowing my nose it doesn’t make for happy blogging.

dehorned rhinoI am very concerned about the poaching of rhino horns, elephant tusks too, but already 96 rhinos have been slaughtered this year and lets face it the year has hardly started. Somehow we have to convince the purchasers that there are NO medical benefits, whatsoever, in rhino horn. At the moment it fetches big money unfortunately, and despite everything the rangers can do, poachers still get through. Some poachers get shot, but the others are still tempted by the huge profits. I believe its the consumers we have to get to somehow. They need to be educated. I am very much against trading in animal parts of any kind or trading in exotic animals, alive or dead, but the rhino situation is reaching critical proportions at the moment.

I had some collards in the fridge and I was thinking of making them into a soup. I decided to look on line and see what was available and found this recipe from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen by Susan Voisin, so I decided to make it for supper. I don’t have a pressure cooker, so had to make it the long way. The recipe is more or less what I was thinking of doing. Not being vegan I used chicken stock and real parmesan cheese. It was delicious and made lots of soup.

Collard Greens and White Bean Soup

Ingredientscollard white bean

  • 1 to 1 1/2 pounds collards, tough ribs removed and chopped (can substitute kale, chard, or other greens)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 2 carrots, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
  • 4 cups fat-free vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 2 15-ounce cans white beans, drained (I used Great Northern beans)
  • 2-4 cups water or vegetable broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chilli powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • salt and freshly ground red pepper, to taste
  • vegan Parmesan (optional)
Instructions
  1. Heat a little water (about 2 tbsp.) in a pressure cooker and add onion. Cook until onion is tender, about five minutes. Put the next 5 ingredients into pressure cooker and seal. Bring to high pressure and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and release pressure manually. (If cooking without a pressure cooker, cook covered in a large pot until collards are tender, about 30 minutes.)
  2. Add the beans, 2 cups of water or broth, and the remaining seasonings. Simmer for at least 20 minutes to allow flavors to combine. While cooking, add additional water or broth if the soup seems too dry. Serve topped with vegan parmesan.

Number of servings (yield): 6

Have a great day

Jo_thumb[2]

4 comments:

  1. Hope your cold/allergy clears quickly Jo.

    You need 'comfort food' and that soup recipe sounds just the thing LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. It is a cold, allergy would have cleared up by now. Feel like sh*t. Not used to having a cold so it feels worse.

      That soup was great. Still got more for tonight so don't have to cook thank goodness.

      Delete
  2. Fat Free Vegan? I'm there!

    And killing those animals just for one part is so wrong. And sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought you would be, as I said, I didn't stick to vegan, but the soup was delicious.

      Delete