Saturday, February 9, 2013

Snow and Snow Cones

The meteorolo4 Inches 4 Hoursgists were right, we had snow all night on Thursday and it snowed all day on Friday. Matt went out and measure the snow on our balcony wall at noon and it was 5 inches. Gawd knows how much there actually was on the ground. We watched a guy trying to use a snow blower to clear the sidewalk. He wasn’t doing very well. I don’t think the snow blower was man enough for the job it looked quite a small one. This pictureSnowrabbit was taken a couple of years or so ago, it is labelled ‘4 inches 4 hours’. It’s taken lots longer but as I said, we’ve got more and it is still snowing pretty hard. I checked, the bowling alley was open, but we decided not to go, not worth it when it isn’t something important. I was surprised they were open in fact. Of course a lot of people have SUVs, we don’t, we have a regular car which would not enjoy these roads. Looking for the balcony picture, came across the snow rabbit I used a few years back, I think its cute. Much better than a snowman. I bet there will be a few of those made in this storm. The school near us is closed, I assume all the schools in the area are closed.

snow cone catOf course, one thing to do today would be to make snow cones. All you have to do is scoop up snow and coat it with a syrup and some colour. Looks like this cat is enjoying one. Love the colours on the cat’s tongue. You have to be careful with the snow and ensure it hasn’t been polluted in any way. Could take some off our balcony wall to make these, I think that should be pure enough. No birds flying around at the moment.

One thing I never understand, when it snows, or is about to snow, people start stocking up on bread and milk – why? Don’t people carryempty store enough in their homes to last for a while? We could certainly last a week or more. In the city, one is unlikely to be snowed in for longer. OK, in the country I can see a problem, so freeze some bread (I always keep mine in the freezer) and carry powdered milk which will do in a pinch. The only milk which freezes well is skimmed so you could also use that in a pinch. People do the same in a hurricane, mind you that’s a bit different because the power could go out so freezing isn’t much use then. Even then, we survived a week without needing stuff from a store. Cooked on the barbecue for the whole time. Luckily we had filled a bath with water (ours was pumped from a well).

It stopped snowing some time in the early evening, but we have been told to expect more snow. The snow ploughs hadn’t been around our area by bedtime either which is surprising because we are on a bus route.

I thought this was a nice refreshing sounding salad.

Arugula and Apple Salad

By A Nutritionist Eats
WebMD Recipe from Foodily.com

Shake up your regular salad by adding this tangy vinaigrette to fresh arugula greens and crisp Granny Smith apple slices. The result is the kind of salad that can make you forget about dinner. The kind of salad that people return to for seconds. The kind thaarugula_apple_saladt has stray fingers wandering into the bowl after everyone is stuffed hoping for one last flavour-soaked slice of apple.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon agave or honey

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 tablespoon olive oil

6 cups arugula greens

1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced

Instructions

  1. In a large bowl, whisk together mustard, agave (or honey), vinegar, and olive oil.
  2. Add arugula and apple slices to bowl and toss to coat with dressing.

Tip: after tossing everything together, stuff 1 portion of greens in a mug or cup and invert on plate for a fancier presentation.

Have a great weekend

Jo_thumb[2]

13 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, that salad looks divine!

    Wow at the snow! We badly need some. We're supposed to get light snow over the next three days, but it's so dry here that the snow evaporates the next day, so there won't be buildup. Still, moisture is moisture, so I'm good any.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today it looks really pretty in the sun. We ended up with about a foot I believe. Hope you get some kind of precipitation, we were so dry here last spring/summer it wasn't funny.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo .. the snow does sound bad - it's featuring on the news here.

    That salad looks delicious .. and I'm so looking forward to the fresh veg and spring time ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're OK here, but there are parts of the east coast which have no power, not funny in weather like this.

      I long for asparagus time.

      Delete
  3. Never thought about making 'snow cones' - Love the picture of the cat enjoying the multi coloured one :-)

    I'm so pleased we missed the worst of the recent snowfalls in England recently but we do have possible sleet/snow showers forecast for tomorrow. I doubt they'll be anywhere near as severe as yours though.

    Stay warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you don't get deep snow often enough to think about them do you? Certain memorable winters England got lots of snow, but mostly not too much.

      OK for you hiding in the Azores. Here our Snowbirds hide in Florida for the winter. We are supposed to get more snow tonight I believe.

      Delete
  4. I've never understood the stocking up on milk and bread thing either. If the power goes, there goes all that milk! They do it here for hurricanes as well. Dumb.
    At least you didn't get the three feet some places did here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know when we lived in NC and a hurricane was on it's way the grocery stores would be empty and 9 times out of 10 we would lose power in the storm.

      I haven't seen an official report on the depth of our snow, I think it was a foot. That's quite enough for me anyway. The storm has moved out east and I think they will get more.

      Delete
    2. I should add, we live in the banana belt LOL. We don't get such bad winters here.

      Delete
  5. As a Torontonian (by way of Dublin and Montreal) currently wintering in Las Vegas I also don't understand the need to stock up. I always have enough to ensure we could manage for a few days at least.
    I'm your latest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog, nice to see you. You are well out of the weather where you are now.

      I think in my case its a product of the war years when you always made sure the pantry/larder was full.

      Delete
  6. Hey there! We got quite a lot of snow yesterday too - I had some practice driving in it, such great fun! :P

    I'm not sure I've ever stocked up on bread and milk because of a storm brewing, but I do tend to grab quite a few things at the store as I need them, so it's good to check on what I've got on hand and stock up beforehand. Right now the only thing I'm particularly low on are those frozen hash brown patties. I've got a fair bit of milk and nearly an entire loaf of frozen bread, which could last me months as I don't use it much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to have to travel from Hamilton to Toronto in this weather though. We don't have to go anywhere particular so we just hunkered down at home.

      Delete