Saturday, March 23, 2013

Bowling, Space Station.

Same ‘ol same ‘ol, a very average game of bowls on Friday. I guess Bowling ballsI have to accept that, I will have the occasional flash in the pan, but generally its going to be average which is why, I suppose, that we have averages. I was trying to explain bowling to my computer guy the other night, I don’t think he had a clue what I was talking about. He is originally from the Ukraine, maybe they don’t bowl over there. This picture shows a rack of house bowling balls, a lot of us own our own balls which get added to the rack. Sometimes there are so many privately owned ones, there isn’t much room for the house balls.

I have been sharing this video with all kind of people and thought I should share it on my blog too. Its a video of the inside of the International Space Station. Really quite incredible. I guess I imagined it to look something like Star Trek or similar inside, I was quite wrong.


Cooking.com sent this recipe today, I love crêpes, I love mascarpone and I love chocolate, so what’s not to like about this one?

Chocolate Crêpes with Mascarpone and Toffee

Source: Dessert - The Grand Finale
Active Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Serves 6

Creamy mascarpone and sticky-sweet toffee bring this decadent chocolate crepe to another level.Choc Crepes

INGREDIENTS
For Crêpes:
2 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

For Toffee:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
8 oz mascarpone cheese

For Chocolate Sauce:
5 oz semisweet chocolate
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon brandy, if desired

DIRECTIONS
MAKE CRÊPE BATTER: Place the eggs in a large bowl and beat well. Beat in the sugar, milk, flour, cocoa powder, salt and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.

MAKE TOFFEE: Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and boil until golden, 5-7 minutes. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Pour the toffee onto the sheet and tilt so that the toffee forms a thin layer. Let cool and harden for 10 minutes.

Remove the toffee pieces from the baking sheet, place in a bowl and crush the toffee with a spoon. Stir three-fourths of the crushed toffee into the mascarpone. Set aside the remainder for decoration.

CHOCOLATE SAUCE: Melt the chocolate and butter over simmering water in a double boiler. Stir in the cream until completely blended. Flavour with the brandy, if desired.

MAKE CRÊPES: Heat a crêpe pan or 8-inch nonstick frying pan over moderate heat. Brush the bottom of the pan with some of the remaining 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Pour in 2 tablespoons of the crêpe batter and tilt the pan to spread the batter evenly and thinly. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the crêpe is just set on top and brown underneath. Turn to the other side and cook for 1 minute. Remove to a plate and repeat until all of the mixture is used, making at least 6 crêpes.

Stack the cooked crêpes on a plate with a piece of parchment or waxed (greaseproof) paper between each crêpe. Keep the whole plate covered with a clean dish towel.

When all of the crêpes are cooked, place 1 tablespoon of mascarpone and toffee mixture in the center of each crêpe. Fold the sides over so that it looks like a pillow.

Serve each crêpe drizzled with chocolate sauce and extra toffee.

Have a great weekend.
Jo_thumb[2]

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I could sleep without knowing which end was up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess one would get used to it. But it is an odd concept, the whole thing really, your bunk area could be on the ceiling, walls or floor very odd concept to grasp.

      Delete
  2. I took a bowling class in college - loved it! We joked that it was the only class where we could drink WHILE attending class. That was true - he didn't care if had a few beers. I learned a lot, and now my kids CANNOT beat me at Wii Bowling ;-) I can't bowl for real anymore due to my fused wrist, so having a "virtual" alternative has been fun.

    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
    @TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you are talking 10 pin Tina, we do 5 pin except when we vacation in NC. 5 pin was invented in Canada 100 yrs. ago and we find it fun, it is also a bit more difficult. You only have 5 pins to hit with a ball which fits in the palm of your hand. I try to convince everyone we should have a 10 pin ball but they seem to think it would be cheating, LOL

      Never tried Wii. Sorry you can't actually bowl any more.

      Delete