Monday, May 27, 2013

CPAP, CPAP Pillows, Asparagus Fries.

Hope Memorial Day is being good to all my friends in the US.

My first night of using the CPAP machine went pretty well. I hadn’t maskrealised I would be breathing warm and slightly moist, air. I had two problems, every so often I lost the seal on my mask and could feel the air blowing into my eye and my mouth didn’t stay closed. In all the blurb I have been given they advise that in all probability I will learn to keep my mouth shut (haven’t done so in 70 odd years LOL). Not sure about the seal problem. This picture shows more or less what my mask looks like. I then discovered there is a CPAP pillowCPAP pillow (that’s what the guy is sleeping on) so started searching the internet etc. Of course, being Saturday, the local places are all closed. Talked to a friend who has been using a CPAP machine for 7 years and her comment about the leaking seals was that they do that. Well every time it did it to me, I woke up. The pillow is designed so that the mask has clearance and if your head rolls forward it rests on the high bit (front of the pic) and doesn’t disturb the mask. 

My second night with the machine on Saturday, things went a lot better, only trouble there, I was woken by Matt at 5 a.m. anyway. However, I was sleeping well before and went back to sleep easily enough after. Today I can make some proper enquiries about the pillow. Sorry to bore on about this, but there are a couple of people who have asked me about it all as they too are about to go through the test. It appears there is a high percentage of people who have sleep apnea and are unaware of the fact.

I decided to try making Crispy Baked Asparagus Fries on Saturday – they are a bit of a palaver, quite a enjoyable. Only trouble was, I paid so much attention to them that I overcooked my steak. I eat my steak blue rare, i.e. I like to be able to slap a Bandaid on it and send it back in the field. Never mind we did enjoy the fries. I also discovered that I didn’t have a proper rack on which to cook them, I have no idea what happened to it, but suffice to say it has disappeared. I improvised and it worked. Even though it was a bit of a fiddly job to prepare these, I will probably make them again as they were pretty tasty. I won’t cook so many next time though as they were a bit filling.
messy job, but they worked out well and were very


Asparagus with butter, balsamic and Capers

* 1 bunch asparagus about 250g, woody stems removedRecipe1170
* butter
* 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
* 1 tbsp capers
* 4 slices sourdough bread , toasted
* a few shavings parmesan

Steam the asparagus until just tender, about 3-4 minutes. toss with a knob of butter, the balsamic and capers and season well.
Pile onto sourdough toast and scatter with a few parmesan shavings.

Servings: 2
Source: Olive Magazine

Have a great day.
Jo




10 comments:

  1. I can't imagine getting used to that, but a good nights sleep is worth, just about anything, isn't it. My sister has such a machine but refuses to use it. She is always tired, and her sleep patterns erratic. Sometimes I think we get used our unhealthy situations and don't realize that's what we've done.

    Back to editing - Work, work, work, isn't it fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In 3 nights I have got used to it, I am told a few small problems will disappear as I continue to use it, but that it will take a minimum of a week and up to 2 months before I feel less tired.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo .. well glad you're sleeping better - that's good news. I do love asparagus .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Hilary.

      I never understand anyone who doesn't love asparagus, they are out there though, a couple of good friends don't like it.

      Delete
  3. I have never met another person who eats steak the way I do, High-five to you, my dear!

    My husbands seal kept coming loose too, what a pain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know people who eat steak the way we do, but they are few and far between.

      Well, think it was better last night. But I will persevere.

      Delete
  4. Crispy asparagus! I haven't tried that. I so like crispy things. Too bad it's something I can't have but once in a while.
    I'm also glad you're sleeping better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have thought you could eat those Al, instead of Parmesan you can use ground almonds. I couldn't really taste the Parmesan anyway. They are good.

      Early days yet for the sleeping better Al.

      Delete
  5. When I first read the title of your post, I thought it was CRAP, CRAP PILLOW. Still laughing at myself. I don't mind a bit of pink in my steak, but slapping a Band Aid on it and sending it back out -- LOL -- uhm, no, thanks. Good luck with cPap. And if you run into any of the other stuff, good luck with that too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I had the same trouble with the first P LOL.


    Hope not to see any of the other stuff.

    ReplyDelete