Monday, July 29, 2013

Facebook, New Trilogies.

Sheesh, my Facebook account was hacked over the weekend, all kinds of people were getting friend requests even though they were already friends. I had to change my photo and my password so I hope this will fix the problem. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to do this – just because they can I suppose.

It is not very nice that I have to admit I am a dingbat. I’m not even first-contact-blonde although I have been during my life. I am taking part in a diabetes study and have to complete a diary every day and Saturday I forgot. No particular reason, I wasn’t excessively busy or anything, I just forgot. Mind you I have discovered a very good set of stories by Michael R. Hicks. I am reading The Last War Trilogy, you can get the first book for free – it’s called In Her Name - First Contact I am now on the second book In Her Name – Legend of the Sword. The series is in three trilogies and you can also get the first book of the second trilogy free – as an ebook that is. It the series continues the way it has started, I highly recommend it. The first book begins with a space ship, the Aurora, which is an explorer ship sent to discover new worlds which they have been doing. However, they suddenly land in an area where there are ships so much more advanced than anything we have in the human worlds. Then comes trouble. However, the author manages to build a sympathetic interest in the aliens even though they kill all the humans bar one The Messenger. If you haven’t read these books I highly recommend them. Space Opera at its finest. Nearly forgot to post this blog, so busy reading my book.

Here’s a weird one. Because of my vascular problems in my legs I do most of my computing from my lounger with my feet up. My laptop doesn’t leave the area and certainly didn’t yesterday. One of the feet has a tendency to come off. I am always sticking it back on. Yesterday it not only came off but has disappeared completely. We have both been hunting for it but cannot find it anywhere. It has completely disappeared. We didn’t leave the apartment or anything. Several hours later, I found it under the laptop stand, I thought I had looked before but…..

I liked the sound of this recipe. Will have to buy some of the ingredients though. About the only thing I have is the chicken and the oil. Oh and the ginger and a couple of other things.

Saucy Coconut-Chicken Stir-Fry

WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com

Thai flavours of coconut and basil come together in this fresh and spicy chicken and cabbage stir-fry. If your family prefers a milder meal, forgo the jalapeño. Serve with: Rice noodles and mango slices.

saucy_coconut_chicken_stir_fry
Ingredients
4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
1  jalapeño pepper, minced, optional
1 bunch scallions, sliced, whites and greens, separated
2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
3/4 cup “lite” coconut milk
2 tablespoons fish sauce
4 teaspoons lime juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
6 cups sliced napa cabbage
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil

Instructions
  1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until cooked through and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
  2. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the wok or pot. Add jalapeño (if using), scallion whites, mushrooms and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant and the mushrooms start to soften, 30 seconds to 1 minute. 
  3. Stir in coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cabbage, the chicken and scallion greens; cook, stirring constantly, until the cabbage is slightly wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in basil just before serving.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

12 comments:

  1. Sorry to read that one of your feet has a tendency to drop off...You should get the Doctor to take a look! ;-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are an idiot Mike. Thanks for making me laugh this morning. You should try the books I'm talking about, think you would enjoy them.

      Delete
  2. What a pain these hackers are!!

    The coconut-chicken sounds wonderful but could you please stick to low cal/carb recipes for a couple of weeks as I'm on a diet after our holiday LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on a diet for months Sue, but I eat everything just watch the quantities in relation to whatever else I have eaten that day. I have lost 22 lbs now.

      Delete
  3. I think gremlins got a hold of your laptop leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Diane. Was driving me scatty.

      Delete
  4. My email was hacked once, now I never use it but lost everything from several years. Don't count on it not happening! Love that things lost are always in the last place you look, even if you swear you checked there several times. So aggravating, but do it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bummer isn't it?

      You are right, I had definitely looked there before. The stupid thing was I knew it couldn't have gone very far.

      Delete
  5. I'll have to check out that series. My type of read.
    Chicken and stir fry - two of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just starting the third book in the first trilogy. It seems to be holding up well and I am thoroughly enjoying the story.

      Looks good doesn't it?

      Delete
  6. It's scary what can be done to our computers... weird people out there sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all seems so pointless. I can understand hacking when it gains you money, but I really don't understand what's the end point of hacking a Facebook account.

      Delete