Saturday, August 17, 2013

Value Village.

It was suggested that the problem of my over large shorts could be resolved by visiting thrift shops. Not a bad idea except I am no shopper. However, I did call in at Value Village yesterday, which is a Thrift Shop. They didn’t have many shorts in my size, even Value Villagethough I have lost weight, I tried on a couple of pairs, one was a bit big but hideous and the other too small. That ended that little foray. Like I said, I am no shopper (in fact I hate clothes shopping) and anyway there wasn’t a lot there for me. I’ll have to wait and maybe next year invest in some shorts which do fit me by which time I should, I hope, be somewhat smaller. Matt was with me, he is much better at this kind of shopping than I, but we didn’t really see anything for me.

I seriously thought about not blogging at all today and taking a break, so this is yer lot.

Some people don’t like okra, I learned to do so many years ago in the Mediterranean where they use it a lot. I thought this was a great idea from Food and Wine.


Okra Double Dippers

Contributed by Kay Chun

SERVINGS: 6 to 8

This okra gets not one but two coatings: Dip first in miso Okra double dippers A130423 Food & Wine Handbook August 2013mayonnaise, then add crunch with sesame seeds or heat with fresh chiles.
  1. 1 pound okra
  2. 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  3. 2 tablespoons white miso (also called shiro miso)
  4. Black and white sesame seeds and thinly sliced fresh red chiles, for dipping
  1. In a large pot of salted boiling water, blanch the okra until bright green, about 30 seconds; drain well. Transfer the okra to a baking sheet and refrigerate until it has cooled slightly.
  2. In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the miso. Put the sesame seeds and chiles in 2 small bowls. To eat, dip the okra spears in the miso mayonnaise, then dip in the toppings.
Have as great weekend
Jo_thumb[2]

4 comments:

  1. I've only ever used okra in curry dishes and didn't know it could be eaten raw. I'll give it a whirl :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not raw Sue, it's blanched. I use okra a lot - particularly for gumbo. Living where you do you should be able to get lots of fresh seafood to make a gumbo, oysters, shrimp, crab. Whitstable oysters - oh yes!!!!! I never liked them when I lived in England, now I eat them by the bushel, but not such good ones.

      Delete
  2. No thank you for the okra, thrift shopping is a great idea, and maybe you'll find shorts while on your trip. I can sew but would never attempt to fool with another persons clothes, I'm not that good, and actually prefer the needle and thread to a sewing machine. I can control the needle better than the machine.

    We just got back from our three day trip, and while it was lovely, it was way to short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but my one visit wasn't very successful.

      Nice to have had a getaway. Can't wait for our trip.

      Delete