Monday, November 18, 2013

Books, Stamps, Dinner.

I was thinking about books the other day. When I was younger, people disapproved of paperbacks. You could give them a copy of War and Peace but if it wasn’t in a hard cover, they considered it trashy. Paperbacks weren’t quite the Book Igloothing. That attitude has gone by the board, but today people will tell you they don’t like ebooks because they like the feel of a paper book in their hands, even the smell of one? Here again, I personally don’t care how a book comes, if the story is good I am happy. Which is why I love my Kindle. I no longer have to store books on shelves which get dusty. I still have a lot of paper books, but I don’t anticipate every buying any more. If I can’t get it in Kindle format then I will go to the library. If they haven’t got it, I guess I am destined never to read it. Looking for pictures I came across this “book igloo” which was created by Colombian artist Miler Lagos. Clever. Back to topic, people can burn paper books too, more difficult to destroy ebooks on people’s readers.

On Friday I purchased a bunch of Christmas stamps for my cards. The only one I didn’t get was the one with the woman. Christmas StampsThey are sold in books of about 6, certainly the $1.10 ones are in sixes anyway. So I started putting them on the appropriate envelopes. I lifted two of the one of a deer and realised the stamp, once removed, only said ANADA, the C and some of the picture remaining behind. I immediately figured I had something. I went looking for advice. I ended up discovering that a local philately shop would pay me three times what I paid right now, but that if I hung on to them and it turned out they were the only ones, I might get more. So hanging on I am. Only trouble was I am now 6 stamps short and couldn’t get finished.

We had a good evening at the Pig Tail dinner on Saturday and as usual the pigtails themselves were delicious. The evening is usually sauerkrautsuccessful and this year they were delighted to have had something like 350 people there. They announced how much they had made as well, it was quite a substantial amount. They apparently cooked 950 pigtails. That’s a lot of pigs. When this topic came up I think everyone felt a little guilty. Silly really, we are all meat eaters obviously, but…. I have decided I need to buy some to roast which is the way I like them best. I could have bought some there – friend bought a dozen – already cooked – for $10. I didn’t bother as Matt never eats them anyway, he has the schnitzels instead. I had forgotten how much I like sauerkraut too, long time since I ate any. Bacon is frequently added in this area. It was also a satisfactory evening for me as I was wearing clothes I hadn’t worn in a very long time and I even risked high heels, not very high, but certainly not flat. I felt good. The scales aren’t showing much movement, but my figure is firming up and has decreased quite a bit according to my wardrobe. One thing I am please about, my winter coat, which I haven't been able to wear for years, is now wearable again. I don't have a lot of call for a full coat, but I am so glad this one is available to me again as I hadn't worn it a whole heck of a lot.

Spiced nuts are always popular at this time of year, so here is a recipe from Web MD.

Mississippi Spiced Pecans

Mississippi Spiced Pecans
From Eating Well.

Make plenty of these mildly sweet and salty nuts—they are great to have on hand over the holidays.

Ingredients

  • 1 pound pecan halves
  • 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon piment d’Espelette or a pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Spread pecans on a large baking sheet. Roast until fragrant, about 12 minutes. Watch carefully so they don’t burn.
  3. Combine brown sugar, salt, thyme, rosemary, pepper and piment d’Espelette (or cayenne) in a small bowl. Transfer the roasted pecans to a large bowl, drizzle with oil and toss well to coat completely. Sprinkle with the spice mixture and toss again. Serve warm or let cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

14 comments:

  1. Yummy....good luck with yer stamps. I hope they're worth a fortune!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be wonderful if they were, but I am not that lucky.

      Delete
  2. 950 little pigs without tails...
    I was never a fan of paperbacks and always purchased the hardback version. Now I'm all about the eBooks. They don't consume as much space as hardback books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect those 950 pigs lost a lot else besides their tails.

    I never worried about the cover, only the content. It's so true, I have hundreds of ebooks. I can't imagine how much space they would take up on book shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went from hard bound to soft bound to ebooks. The only non ebooks I read are the ones people mail to me and ask me to read and review their books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read library books in print now and again if there is something expensive I want to read. Otherwise it's all ebooks

      Delete
  5. I prefer reading a book. So, does my daughter. But, saving space is a valid point. One day soon my daughter is going to run out of room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have over 2,000 books - still have quite a lot, but now I collect Kindle books more than paper.

      Delete
  6. Funny story about the stamps. Isn't it amazing what different people value?

    I've resisted getting an ereader partly because I like to hold the book but partly because I'm afraid of how much time I'll spend reading if I have access to so many more options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted they do value such things.

      I don't think I read any more than I did. I always had my nose buried in a book.

      Delete
  7. I agree. My bookshelves are stacked two-deep on most shelves. I will still buy paper books, but toting hundreds of them on my little 10-inch tablet is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you live in a house whereas in an apartment we really don't have room for stacks and stacks of books.

      Delete
  8. Hi Jo - well I sure hope those stamps' value rises .. well spotted. I still buy books if that's the way I feel I'll enjoy them more .. ie refer to them, while I do use the Kindle -not often though .. but it has a few downloaded - I just need to read them all!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Hilary.

      Got heaps of stuff on my Kindle. Always got something to read.

      Delete