Friday, November 1, 2013

Spices and Salmonella, Hallowe’en, Bowling.

SPICE-articleLargeA report on GMA Thursday morning sent me to Google. It appears there is a risk of getting salmonella from imported spices many of which come from India and Mexico. India says it is working on changing farming practises to eliminate the risks, but the changes described in the report don’t seem enough; bearing in mind the source of many of these spices, grown by poor farmers, the farming changes may not be insufficient. A lot of spices are cooked before being eaten which helps eliminate the risks, but many people, including my husband, use lots of pepper at the table and that can be a source of risk. Also, dried spices can be contaminated for years sitting on our kitchen shelves, the contamination doesn’t go away. I don’t know what kind of testing is done in Canada, but from the article, it doesn’t seem enough is being done in the States.

I hope you all enjoyed your ghoulies and ghosties and things that go Kidsbump in the night. Here it was raining pretty hard most of the day so I think that put off a lot of trick or treaters. The women who were manning the table downstairs Had had very few visitors although I saw lots of adults tucking in. Matt went to the liquor store and the grocery store and they had a few people dressed up. At the bowling alley they had some challenged kids bowling for a while and several of them were dressed up.

TBowling alleyalking of bowling, Matt bowled up a storm when it didn’t particularly matter. I didn’t do too badly, but nothing like he did. As an added bit of fun we were all playing Snakes and Ladders and out of the three games (a quarter a time) Matt won once and then I won the second time. So we made a big profit, at least $4 I think. The friend who’s arm I had been twisting to come to the Travel League with us did join us, I was so pleased. I think she enjoyed herself. The alley we went to in New Hamburg is actually quite small, they only have about 8 lanes, but its a nice little house. Of course we got our doughnuts.

It’s a bit late for a Hallowe’en cocktail, but this also has ties to bowling so what could be more suitable for me. I haven’t posted a cocktail in a while either.


The Hirshfield

Contributed by Cocktails 2008

Makes 1 drink
    Pin-Up Bowl • St. Louis
    This bar and bowling alley partners serious, classically prepared cocktails with fun, light-hearted drinks like this homage to Leo Hirshfield, creator of the Tootsie Roll, one of America's first penny candies.
    the-hirshfield
    © Wendell T. Webber

    Hallowe’en Cocktails
    Vodka
    1. 1 orange wedge
    2. Unsweetened cocoa powder
    3. Ice
    4. 2 ounces chocolate vodka
    5. 1/2 ounce vanilla vodka
    6. 1/2 ounce dark crème de cacao
    7. 1/4 ounce Grand Marnier
    8. 1 orange twist
    1. Moisten half of the outer rim of a martini glass with the orange wedge and coat lightly with cocoa powder. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the twist and shake well. Strain into the prepared martini glass and garnish with the orange twist.
    Have a great day
    Jo_thumb[2]

    14 comments:

    1. I have spices that are almost 30 years old. Perhaps I should toss them?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Technically I suppose you should, but I always figure if they smell OK then I use them. If you are going to cook them it will be OK anyway.

        Delete
    2. We haven't had kids come to our door for years. It's rather sad.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes it is. Do you live in the country?

        Delete
      2. We don't either, Alex. And I do miss the little guys.

        Delete
      3. It is one of my first memories of Canada, I landed a couple of days before Hallowe'en

        Delete
    3. That drink sounds good.
      I grow what spices I can. I wish I could do more.
      I live in the country so no trick or treaters.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I agree.
        Grow spices? Do you mean herbs or are you actually growing spices?

        Delete
      2. I grow cilantro and I harvest the seeds also to grind for coriander. So that is herb/spice. Most of the rest are herbs like parsley,basil, oregano, dill, Next year I want to try cumin. If I could grow turmeric, I would. I don't live in the right climate though.

        Delete
      3. Never really thought of coriander as a spice. Not sure why not. We grow a few herbs on our balcony every year, but nothing else. Not the right climate here certainly.

        Delete
    4. I heard the report about the spices on the radio the other morning. Kind of disturbing even though I don't keep too many spices on hand. I do like a lot of spices in my food though.

      Lee
      A Faraway View

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're right it is disturbing Lee. But they say if they are cooked it should be OK. It's people - like my hubby - that use raw spices who are at risk I gather.

        Delete
    5. The vodka drink sounds very good. Will make one tonight and share with hubby. Too strong for one person.

      ReplyDelete