Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Bananas, Snow, Shared Book, TV.

As you may recall, I lost 31 lbs. last year, I took it very slowly and counted Bananaeverything I ate and wrote it down (I used FitDay.com) all the experts say that writing it down helps and it certainly did for me. However, in my travels through cyber space, I keep seeing an ad which says something to the effect that if you want to lose belly fat, don’t eat bananas. From my personal experience, that’s rubbish, I eat a banana every day without fail. I get cramps very easily particularly from all the medications I shove down my throat on a daily basis, a friend recommended a daily banana and it does help with the cramp. But, I have lost belly fat, I think a good deal of that 30 lbs. has been from that area of my body. My advice, if you like bananas, continue to eat them, not more than one a day if you are trying to lose weight. I seem to remember in the old days, Weight Watchers used to say half a banana, I never knew what you were supposed to do with the other half.

We have snow, lots of it although maybe not as much as some places, but when it comes to driving there is enough to make idiots out of some driverssnow plow. This is Canada for goodness sake, we get snow in the winter, what is the matter with you? Someone, not sure who the driver was, got stuck in our parking lot in such a way that people were having trouble getting out of the underground garage. By the look of it, they had, of course,  been spinning their wheels in order to try and get out of their mess which, naturally, made it worse. Admittedly nobody had plowed our driveways or parking lots, not sure why. The super started doing some around noon and there was also someone else doing it. Even so, we drove through thick snow without any trouble, we let the car do it. I thought we weren’t going to be able to go bowling and I was getting mightily teed off. When we did get to the bowling alley, having been overtaken by people who would have been hard pressed to stop in a hurry, the speed they were going, neither of us bowled particularly well. Not badly, but not well. A  heck of a lot of people didn’t show up anyway. Some people live in areas where the snow plows don’t get to them til late anyway. We are lucky, because we have schools nearby, our roads get plowed early even if the building grounds are not done.

I finally got round to doing my Blog2Print book today covering the 6 months from July 1 to December 31. I got a 15% discount, big deal on $7.95 which is all I pay because I download it electronically. I don’t bother to print them any more although I used to, getting so many files with blogs in, taking up too much room. I do have them well backed up though and they are still on Blog2Print, just in case.

I sat through the 2 hours of Downton Abbey on Sunday night. Loved it as usual. This is the beginning of Episode 4 if you happen to be a devotee.

I am not much into burgers, but this recipe sounded good to me. I love Portobello mushrooms.

Portobello Cheeseburgers

Satisfy your burger craving with a meatless mushroom stacker topped with Gorgonzola cheese.
portobello-cheeseburgers-l
Photo by: Oxmoor House
Cooking Light OCTOBER 2006
  • Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 4 (4-inch) portobello caps
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
  • 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 4 (2-ounce) sandwich rolls
  • 2 cups trimmed arugula
  • 1/2 cup sliced bottled roasted red bell peppers
Preparation
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle mushrooms with salt and pepper. Add mushrooms to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until tender, turning once. Add garlic to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
Combine cheese and mayonnaise, stirring well. Spread about 2 tablespoons mayonnaise mixture over bottom half of each roll; top each serving with 1/2 cup arugula and 2 tablespoons peppers. Place 1 mushroom on each serving, and top with top halves of rolls.
Note:
Portobello mushrooms are well-paired with pungent Gorgonzola cheese. Use crumbled blue cheese to save even more time.

Have a great day – oops don’t have my dragon fire name on this computer.
Jo






6 comments:

  1. Bet that burger is good!
    I eat a banana every other day at least. Need the potassium, and if I don't get enough, I get leg cramps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks it doesn't it?

      It's not just the potassium I think, you can get that from other sources, but something about bananas really helps. I get cramps all over, not just legs, because of the cholesterol pill so I take several other pills and a banana.

      Delete
  2. The photo of the burger looks amazing. I just found my new favorite place for burgers here a few weeks ago. Best place in town, hands down. Can't get enough of them.

    But, I lost 30 pounds since May of last year myself. I agree with you about the bananas thing. I try to keep it as simple as I can. It's all about calories for me. I have a V8 in the morning for breakfast, then try to keep under 1500 calories for the rest of the day and it's worked out okay for me so far. I still need to drop another 20 pounds to be at my target weight, so I'm sure the last 20 will be way harder than the first 30 were.

    And glad you got to bowl, even if you didn't get to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, I am not much in to burgers although I did like the look of this one. I am way to concerned about pink slime. I wrote about that a while back.

      Congratulations on the weight loss. I have to eat more than that for breakfast as I have diabetes, and generally stick to 1200 calories a day. Men are lucky, they can lose weight quicker than women. Discrimination!!! I too want to drop maybe another 20, not sure, see when I get there.

      I enjoyed bowling, just didn't bowl terribly well.

      Delete
  3. Meatless burger looks wonderful ... I love mushrooms (in fact garlicky mushrooms on menu tonight)!

    Well done on the weight loss and good luck for the next 20. I've managed about 8lbs loss in the last couple of months but would love to shift another 10+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I especially love Portobello but any other mushroom is good - oyster particularly.

      Trouble is, it's not losing so much as keeping it off. However, the present way of eating and writing it all down seems to be working really well, Dropped another three since Christmas, so I will stick to it and when I reach my goal, I won't change what I am doing by much.

      Delete