Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Know Your Librarian.

My librarians know me and one in particular reads very much the The Sword Edged Blondesame thing I read too. She recently recommended an author, Alex Bledsoe and I am thoroughly enjoying the books. Eddie LaCross is a sword jockey i.e. a P.I. in medieval times. A lot of the books are somewhat anachronistic, like people saying “you’re kidding” which I am damned sure they didn’t say in that time period, but then as it’s setting is not the medieval times in the worlds we know, I guess one cannot complain. The stories are a reminder of Drag Net and Raymond Chandler with a strong dash of humour thrown in as well as a touch of magic, not much, but some. Eddie has swords like modern sleuths have guns. I am on the third book and really liking them. The first book is called The Sword Edged Blonde. Do try them.

Then, I decided I wanted to read the Sevenwaters books by Juliet Daughter of the ForestMarillier. She is an Australian author. My local library only had one which I read and then they initiated inter-library loans for me. The series started as a trilogy but there are more books than that. The first one is Daughter of the Forest and is based on an old Irish legend of young men turned into swans by sorcery and all the problems (in the book) their sister faced in order to break the spell. Great book, I am now awaiting the second one. The stories (I read The Heir of Sevenwaters too which is the 4th book) are set around the magical dwellers in the forest of Sevenwaters the Fair Folk who sometimes help and sometimes go their own way despite the consequences to the humans. Juliet Marillier is the third Australian author I have recommended lately although they are not alone. Australia seems to have some excellent fantasy writers.

I can’t believe that Tuesday I was talking about spring and how lovely everything was and on Wednesday it became extremely humid, we had sun and cloud most of the day and then thunderstorms in the evening and eventually, it was so sticky we had to turn on the A/C what a change. I wonder what we will get today. Which is, by the way, the first day of our bowling Summer League.

OK, sorry for you guys who don’t like asparagus, there are a few of you around, but here is yet another favourite asparagus recipe. This one from Paula Deen. This one is so easy, your kids could probably do it. You will find these very moreish. I certainly do.

Asparagus Phyllo Bundles
For one roll:

Phyllo - 1/2 sheet for 2 asparagus
2 stalks asparagusAsparagus Phyllo Bundles
Parmesan, grated

Brush phyllo with butter, sprinkle with Parmesan, place 2 asparagus in middle and roll. Place in baking dish, sprinkle more Parmesan and put in oven 375 F for 15 mins.

Yield: one roll:

Source: Paula Deen

Have a great day
Jo

14 comments:

  1. I'll have to pick up one of Bledsoe's books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that recipe is a keeper, too. I see it's asparagus season on your blog again :-) Love that!
    Tina @ Life is Good
    On the Open Road! @ Join us for the 4th Annual Post-Challenge Road Trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jo,

    Some interesting series you're featuring.... Sounds like a few good reads!

    Let's NOT talk about the weather here in Chicago. We went from cold to lovely for about two seconds and today we are back in cold, damp, fifty degree weather. It's HORRIBLE. It feels like March all over again. Will summer ever come here?!

    That asparagus looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We aren't doing much better here Michael. Today it was very wet although it is still pretty sticky.

      It is tasty I can assure you. Haven't made it this year yet, but we will and the one from Monday, both favourites of ours.

      Delete
  4. Speaking of anachronistic, that can completely ruin a book or television drama/movie for me. I don't know if you've ever seen Mad Men, Jo, but I have to say they do an excellent job of staying in the era even down to the intonation patterns in the actors' speech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case it's amusing because of the way the stories are written, but normally I agree with you. No, never watched Madmen, don't watch a lot of TV.

      Delete
  5. I'm a huge fan of the library, phyllo dough and asparagus. I miss the days of reading entire series by one author. As a reviewer, I try to read what gets sent my way, so choosing isn't always an option for me. Still, I do enjoy the vast amount of books I get to read, and it does help indie authors. Plus, I end up reading a lot of genres I might never have indulged in. I say indulged because some of them are really good, and I never would have known they'd be so fun to read, if I hadn't gotten the review request in the first place. It's all good as long as we keep reading, right Jo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some combination that. Me too I guess. I had never thought of not reading a series as a reviewer, don't you get the follow up books to review after the first one? It's true, I don't often look at other genres any more

      Delete
  6. They have closed down a lot of the libraries over here and a lot of kids growing up not knowing what they are which is a shame. My son has been renewing his love for the library as he revises for his A levels! love asparagus, must try this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame. I used to live in my library when I was in London for four years. I was really luck, it was at the bottom of the hill where I lived, a five minute walk.

      One of our favourite recipes.

      Delete
  7. Hi Jo - I really should have got into library reading earlier in my life ... I went to an author reading the other day ..I must write it up - amongst all the others to do ..

    AND this recipe really tempted me last year .. but care and concern for my body stopped me! Otherwise I'd be eating it everyday ... sounds so good ...

    I am asparagus a lot .. had it as a veg when I was away and we agreed good choice Hils!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always used libraries as long as I can remember. Must have saved me thousands over the years.

      Do try it, it is great and not that harmful. I am on a diet and eat it during the season. Not often of course.

      Love the stuff - well after all your christened me queen of asparagus.

      Delete