Friday, June 20, 2014

Bees, Game of Thrones.

Without Bees
I have been carrying a bee preservation sign for a while and came across this one on Facebook. I think it is so important that we do something about this. Not enough people are taking it sufficiently seriously.

Apparently the Queen and Prince Phillip will be GOTvisiting the set of Game of Thrones on their upcoming visit to Northern Ireland. I read that the programme has been filmed in all kinds of places, including Malta where I spent a lot of time when my parents lived there. II have never seen the TV production although I have read most of the books. I’ve kind of lost track of where I got to though. It has been taking so long. However, the TV programme has become a big hit throughout the world – I have friends in Australia who say I should watch it without fail. I would have to find a way Tyreanof seeing the beginning of course. However, I got a bit disillusioned when they killed off the bulk of the Starke family so not too sure I want to see it again. I like Tyrean Lancaster though, I think he is a wonderful character in the books. It is apparently unknown if the Queen is a fan or not.

Here’s a somewhat different recipe from Eating Well.

Tomato Gratin


Active Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
6 servings

Tomato Gratin Recipe at Cooking.com
A gratin is any dish topped with cheese or breadcrumbs mixed with butter, then heated until browned—but it needn’t be heavy. This one has plenty of garden-fresh tomatoes and herbs, a touch of full-flavored cheese and a crispy crumb topping.

RECIPE INGREDIENTS
4 slices  whole-grain bread, torn into quarters
1 tablespoon  minced garlic
1 tablespoon  extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup  finely shredded Pecorino Romano or parmesan cheese
4   medium tomatoes, sliced
1/4 cup  chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon  freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
Place bread in a food processor and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add garlic, oil and cheese; pulse to combine. Spread the seasoned breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, layer tomato slices in the prepared baking dish, sprinkling each layer with basil, pepper and salt. Bake the tomatoes for 10 minutes; sprinkle with the toasted breadcrumbs, and bake for 10 minutes more. Serve immediately.

Have a great day
Jo

16 comments:

  1. I LOVE Game of Thrones, though I haven't seen this season's finale yet. I really want to read the books as well. Gosh, what a story! And your tomato gratin looks delicious. Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep being told I should have watched it.

      Thanks, I hope to make it this weekend.

      Delete
  2. Using veggie cheese, I could make that dish.

    They've been worried about the drop in bee populations here in NC the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could, you're right.

      It's a bit worry all round and no-one is doing a lot about it. Here we are no longer allowed to use weed killers, but I see they are being advertised on American TV.

      Delete
  3. You should watch the series. It's intense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Jo - we really should look after all of nature .. and protect it all .. but bees are essential to many of our foods ..

    Love the look of the tomato gratin - delicious .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just that bees are in crisis right now. I feel the world needs to do something positive.

      Delete
  5. Oh! Was I one of the friends in Australia Jo? There are still plenty of Starks left in the series. Tyrion is the best character by far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Pinky. Well there weren't in the book, not that I last read anyway.

      Think Tyrion is great even if I couldn't spell his name.

      Delete
  6. I've never seen the show either. You lived in Malta? Wow! That's so cool!

    Re: your comment on my blog about colouring books....didn't you or your kids have them? Designs done in just outlines that you use crayons or markers to colour in? The kid kind are usually cartoons and easy pictures but I get ones that have more detailed designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I didn't live there, my parents did for a number of years. Then they moved to Spain. They lived on a boat which helped.

      Never had kids JoJo but yes, I have seen kids colouring books, didn't know they made them for adults.

      Delete
  7. Did you like the books? I was tempted to read them but some say the series are far better. I have not had the chance to watch them yet. That recipe looks very good. Abrazos!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Al, but they were so far apart I kind of got lost. I'm not sure where I got to any more. Maybe I should start them all again. As for the series, I am not sure where I could find them. Abrazos!!!

      Delete
  8. Happily the 'bee' message has been taken seriously here in recent years and many farmers/fruit growers have been leaving edges of fields to grow naturally with wildflowers etc to attract bees. Prior to that they'd had to ship bees in to pollinate the fruit trees as we'd lost our own. Here at home I dug up an area of lawn at the end of our garden and planted a bug friendly garden - trying to do our own 'little bit' to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend in SSA had hives in her back yard but had to get them taken away again because of local politics - wouldn't allow her to keep them.

      Delete