Thursday, June 12, 2014

Bowling, Election.

I had a moderately good day at bowling on Wednesday, not sure Pin_Animation1what I will do today. The last couple of weeks we have all (our team) been bowling below our averages. I keep getting the days wrong and bowling up a storm on Thursday when it doesn’t matter what my score is!! Very frustrating to say the least. This week we were bowling against the top bowlers in the summer league and they were not up to par either so maybe we were affecting them too. We had a book with lots of coupons in it the other day and found four which were buy one game get one free. Having checked, we will be using these on Thursdays, they are worth $9 to us and we can using them on non league days. The owner even suggested we got hold of all the coupons in the thrown away books. Good idea but too late now unfortunately.

Today is our provincial election. I am sick of all the phone calls weBluebird-Apt-snow-150x150 have been getting. I was really irritated at getting one call where the candidate addressed me as Josephine. I am old fashioned, you don’t call me by my first name unless you know me. Mind you, I was interested at the technology which allowed them to do that. Presumably if Matt had answered the phone it would have used his name. It was all recorded of course. I get fed up anyway, I will vote for whoever I want to and no amount of phone calls will change my mind. At least the campaigning does NOT last as long as it does in the States. That drives me nuts and of course we get a lot of the TV ads up here anyway. We usually vote at a school just down the road, but they are pulling the place apart. The kids are still there, but there sure would be no room for an election booth. Looking for a pic of the school, this one has our apartment building in the background.

Here is another recipe I liked the look of. I do like quinoa and of course I like shrimp. It looks a lot but quinoa is very easy to prepare. Maybe I will try this at the weekend. Today I made another batch of tomato soup. I have now run out of storage containers.

Spicy Grilled Shrimp with Quinoa Salad


Spicy Grilled Shrimp with Quinoa Salad RecipeServes 4
Total: 58 Minutes
Recipe from Cooking Light.
 
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, divided
  • 10 teaspoon olive oil, divided
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • 1/8 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped and divided
  • 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 1 pound)
  • 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon honey
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 cup canned organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup diced peeled avocado
  • 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preparation
  1. 1. Preheat grill to high heat.
  2. 2. Combine 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, black pepper, hot sauce, paprika, and 2 garlic cloves in a medium bowl. Add shrimp; toss well. Marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
  3. 3. Rinse and drain quinoa. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add remaining 2 garlic cloves and quinoa; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 13 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Cool. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and honey in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add quinoa mixture, tomatoes, chickpeas, avocado, and cheese; toss gently.
  4. 4. Remove shrimp from bowl; discard marinade. Sprinkle shrimp with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Thread 3 shrimp onto each of 8 (6-inch) skewers. Place skewers on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 2 minutes on each side or until done.
  5. 5. Divide quinoa mixture evenly among 4 plates. Top each serving with 2 skewers. Garnish with cilantro.
Have a great day
Jo

10 comments:

  1. I loathe our election process. It drags on and on. The ads are so irritating and the phone calls are invasive. Makes me not want to vote at all. I've probably made that threat in the last 4 elections, that I'm not going to vote because why bother when the politicians lie and never follow through on their promises. Then election day I break down and do it. It was more convenient in WA b/c you could apply for permanent absentee w/o a real reason. Then they started moving towards an all mail in election process, in the hopes that more people would vote if they didn't have to take the time to go to the polls. Not sure it made much of a difference.

    PLEASE tell me you get to kick Rob Ford out of office? Or are you outside of TO?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loathe your election process too. We get so many of the ads on our TV too.

      I am outside TO, but Rob Ford is a mayor not a member of parliament so this election won't affect him.

      Delete
  2. I always know who I'm going to vote for, and I can't say no amount of ads and the like have ever changed my mind.

    Mmm, that food looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I hate politics. The phone calls are relentless here, as are the TV ads as you mentioned. We are having a special election about funding for the still on-going flood clean-up...at least we do all our voting by mail-in ballot now, and they have drive-by drop boxes where you don't need to actually mail it. At least there's that...
    Quinoa is becoming more and more popular here since it's so high in protein. They're doing a lot with whole wheat berries, too. The delis all have new salads for you to try and wow, some of them are so good I even splurge for a ready made salad.
    Those shrimp are tempting...but I need to wait for a sale. Seafood is up right now...
    Tina @ Life is Good
    On the Open Road! @ Join us for the 4th Annual Post-Challenge Road Trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both Tina. We physically have to go to an election station unless we can't for health reasons or something.

      Not seen it for sale in ready made salads but I don't look much either.

      What isn't up right now?

      Delete
  4. What is your bowling average? I managed to get a score of 125 one time only when I played in a league. Quite pitiful really. The thing I hate about local elections is being accosted in the supermarket by fake, smiling candidates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 145 at the moment. Don't forget I do 5 pin bowling - I have no doubt you were doing 10 pin. 125 isn't bad if you don't bowl regularly.

      Never had that happen thank goodness.

      Delete
  5. That election process sounds awful … at least we only have to deal with flyers but thankfully no phone calls - I think I'd never vote again if they were pestering us like that …
    I love the additions to the quinoa in your recipe … I've only ever tried cooking it plain and then adding it into a salad ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is and down south it's worse.

      Can do lots of things with quinoa.

      Delete