Friday, May 27, 2016

Budding Tightrope Walker, Rainy Weather,

I found this quite fascinating. A young man, whom you can just about see in this picture, stretched a line, cable, something, between two trees. quite a distance I might say. He spent forever tightening it up. At one point he sat on the middle and it sagged to the ground so he went back to working on it. Later I looked out and there he was trying to walk the tightrope. I don't know how many times he tried, but he certainly fell off a few times. I could even hear him swear. By this time Jeopardy was on and I never miss that if I can help it. Then we tried another programme called 500 Questions which we didn't enjoy and eventually when I looked out again, he was rolling up the tightrope. I figured he really needed a balance bar. He was trying to do it with just his arms for balance. He managed to get a few feet, but I don't know what was the furthest distance he walked. All power to him for trying.

Being Thursday we went bowling of course. Just before we went, the heavens opened and so the workmen disappeared. I was surprised they went completely but it did rain hard again a couple of hours or so later. Pity I thought they would finish the first tier - they were working on the 8th floor. We have actually become somewhat used to the jackhammer. Surprise, surprise. I met one of the other tenants in the front parking lot and she was complaining about  the noise, she doesn't even like on our side of the building. She said she had had to take a few aspirins. I haven't and it's right by us. She isn't my favourite person anyway. Matt arrived in the car to pick me up and she said "oh you have a husband, what's he like? Is he cute?" and insisted on being introduced. She told him she was single and in so many words kind of offered herself to him!!! Silly moo. Really. I wanted to gag.

Bowling did not go well. For Matt and I, it didn't matter, but we were joined by another league member who was bowling ahead, and her scores weren't anything to write home about either. One of those days I guess.

Was looking for something else in the way of a recipe and came across this one which I thought sounded good. I also found another with beef and asparagus in a stir fry. Never heard of shabu-shabu style beef but I am sure one can find a thinly sliced beef which will do the trick.


Asparagus Beef Rolls

8 asparagus spears
1 lb shabu-shabu style thinly sliced beef
4 Tbs regular soy sauce
1/2 cup sake
2 Tbs mirin
2 Tbs sugar
Water for blanching
2 Tbs canola oil
Japanese hot mustard (karashi), optional condiment

1. Combine marinade ingredients (soy sauce, sake, mirin, and sugar) in a medium bowl and stir until mixed. Add thinly sliced beef and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, trim bottom of asparagus, then slice asparagus spears vertically in half or quarters, depending on the thickness of the spear. Blanch asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove from pot and rinse with cold water. Set aside.

3. Take 2 to 3 pieces of beef and gently spread it out on a plate or cutting board. Lay 2 or 3 asparagus pieces across one edge of the sliced beef. Gently roll-up the asparagus in the beef, tucking the end under the bottom of the roll. Repeat until all the beef and asparagus have been used to make several rolls.

4. In a large pan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add beef and asparagus rolls to the pan and sear the beef until all sides are lightly and evenly browned. Add any remaining marinade into the pan and simmer the beef and asparagus rolls together for 1 to 2 minutes.

5. Slice each beef and asparagus roll into thirds or fourths, plate, then serve with Japanese hot mustard (karashi). The rolls can also be served as is, without any hot mustard.

Servings: 4

Tips
For this recipe, either shaved beef, shabu-shabu or sukiyaki style beef may be used. It is easier to work with the sukiyaki style beef, as it does not tear as easily as the shabu-shabu style beef when wrapping the meat and vegetable rolls. I prefer the thinner shabu-shabu cut of beef for a thinner and more delicate roll, however, for a slightly heartier version I recommend using sukiyaki style beef.

Author: Judy Ung
Source: About Food


Have a great day
 

14 comments:

  1. Interesting and strange people you have around your place, Jo. I wonder if the tightrope man went home and googled to find out what he was doing wrong. He may be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a saying in northern England Helen "There's nowt so queer as folk". He worked so hard at it yesterday that yes, I am sure he will be back. Hope he finds out what he was doing wrong.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - that lad must be keen ... good for him ... as to the works - frustrating while they create havoc, but needs must I guess.

    Love beef and asparagus with some horseradish ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so Hilary. The workers stopped for the rain but they are back again this morning.

      Never thought of adding horseradish.

      Delete
  3. Wow that woman is nervy to ask about your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was pretty harmless JoJo, but she is a bit of a pain in the you now what.

      Delete
  4. That woman had no shame.
    I would think the tightrope walker would do better with a pole. All the professionals use one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not Alex.

      I agree, I thought the same thing. If he hadn't been so far away from me I would have gone down and suggested it.

      Delete
  5. I've seen at some parks over time where young people will set up a rope between two trees and practice walking on it. They don't get far, but they seem to enjoy the exercise it provides. LOL with your neighbor and her "flirting" with your husband. Got to feel a bit sorry for her; must be really lonely I think.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen it before but I hope he doesn't give up Betty. I think the distance might have been a bit ambitious for him. I guess you are right about the loneliness Betty, but then her behavior (have met her before) is enough to drive people away.

      Delete
  6. Fancy trying to flirt with Matt right in front of you! You should have introduced her to the tight rope man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of that Pinky. They obviously need each other LOL.

      Delete
  7. Is that woman 16 years old?? What an idiot! She must have a tramp stamp somewhere since she seems to be one. The tightrope walker must have seen the movie "The Walk"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure isn't 16 Birgit. Maybe not quite my age though. I haven't seen the movie either so don't get the connection.

      Delete