Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Valentine's Plus One

Sorry everyone, but I am very tired, didn't sleep too well - could have been all that food or could have been all my aches and pains.

Had to go shopping today and I went into the drug store to pick up some scrips and ended up asking a guy if I could be his Valentine. He was buying a white huggy bear and a box of chocolates. I wanted the bear. He laughed. Should I be insulted?

Here is a nice chocolatey dessert for you.

Classic Chocolate Mousse

Dark chocolate and espresso add the slightly bitter notes needed to balance this easy chocolate mousse. Remember, the higher the cacao percentage, the less sweet the chocolate.

¾ cup chilled heavy cream, divided
4 large egg yolks
¼ cup espresso or strong coffee, room temperature
3 Tbs sugar, divided
? tsp kosher salt
6 oz semisweet chocolate (60-72% cacao), chopped
2 large egg whites

1. Beat ½ cup cream in medium bowl until stiff peaks form; cover and chill.

2. Combine egg yolks, espresso, salt, and 2 Tbsp. sugar in a large metal bowl. Set over a saucepan of gently simmering water (do not allow bowl to touch water). Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is lighter in color and almost doubled in volume and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the mixture registers 160 degrees, about 1 minute.

3. Remove bowl from pan. Add chocolate; whisk until melted and smooth. Let stand, whisking occasionally, until room temperature.

4. Using an electric mixer, beat egg white in another medium bowl on medium speed until foamy. With mixer running, gradually beat in remaining 1 Tbsp. sugar. Increase speed to high and beat until firm peaks form.

5. Fold egg whites into chocolate in 2 additions; fold whipped cream into mixture just to blend.

6. Divide mousse among six teacups or 4-oz. ramekins. Chill until firm, at least 2 hours. DO AHEAD: Mousse can be made 1 day ahead; cover and keep chilled. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.

7. Before serving, whisk remaining 1/4 cup cream in a small bowl until soft peaks form; dollop over mousse.

Servings: 6

Source: Bon Appetit
Author: Mary-Frances Heck

Have a great day
 

13 comments:

  1. Rest. Rest. And then take a nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good prescription Denise, I will try to follow it.

      Delete
  2. That does sound delicious! Love mixing some coffee with my chocolate.

    I hope you're feeling better and sleeper more soundly tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you slept poorly.
    When he laughed, you should've grabbed that bear right out of his hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. And then hightailed it out of the store and down the street.

      Delete
    2. I never thought of grabbing the bear Alex and Pinky, but a toddling bear could catch me trying to run these days.

      Delete
  4. I hope you feel better soon! I also would drop a hint to Matt about the bear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pinky, had a fairly good night and then napped for 2 hours this aft. That should fix me. I dropped some hints but they fell on stony ground.

      Delete
  5. Hey, I'd give you my stuffed bear any time. Unfortunately, the only one I've got is over 6 feet tall and he might crush you (don't ask, he was a weird gift).

    I hope you're feeling better by now. I live for a good nap. Sometimes it's more satisfying than regular sleep. Or chocolate mousse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 6ft. bear? Sounds like a good story. I have a couple of stuffed bears but they are rather small.

      Yes, I am thanks Bryan. Chocolate mousse is good though.

      Delete
  6. I'm a sucker for stuffed toys too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being tired sucks so i hope you slept better the next night. I got a stuffed plush raccoon from my hubby:)

    ReplyDelete