Monday, March 20, 2017

Emails, Earrings, Cream, Leftover chicken,

I don't like getting dozens of emails from advertising sources, but it annoys the heck out of me to get lots of emails from Walgrens. As far as I know, they are not even in Canada. Certainly not round here. Also, since our last election, I get regular emails from both the Liberal Party, in power, and the Conservatives. I am totally uninterested, but I can't seem to stop them. I mark them as junk, spam, etc. etc., but nothing seems to work. However, I did get an email from Shop.CA which I really didn't want either although I have shopped with them before now, and I did so this time. I really didn't need another pair of earrings but...... so that's probably another good reason for not getting advertising emails.

Doing some cooking this weekend and realised I hadn't got any cream. However, I did have whipped
cream frozen in the freezer. Never thought of using it for cooking before, but it works fine. Of course you have to make sure you don't sweeten the cream before you freeze it. For those of you who don't remember me writing about this before, all you need to do is whip some cream, whipping cream of course, and then either dollop (easier) or pipe the cream onto waxed or parchment paper as shown and then put it in the freezer. When frozen I bag it and it seems to keep forever. You can either use it with a dessert or as I am now doing, by adding it to a casserole. or a cream of mushroom sauce for fillet steak.

Last week, feeling sorry for myself (the tooth saga) I bought a rotisserie chicken and we had chicken sandwiches and salad for supper for a couple of nights. Then I de-boned the rest of the meat and Sunday I finely sliced a leek, chopped up half an onion, chopped up a carrot and some celery then sautéed them in butter. After a while I added 3 tbs sherry and a cup of chicken stock. I thickened it with cornstarch and let it cook for a while. Once it had thickened I stirred in the chicken and 2 Tbs of cream. We ate it with noodles and it was delicious. I got the idea from a recipe for leftover turkey and ham which I posted at Christmas, but I adapted it.

When I saw the picture of this White Chocolate Butter Cream, I started drooling LOL. I simply had to share it.

White Chocolate Buttercream

Creamy, sweet, and perfect for any treat, you'll want to make this frosting for all of your favorite cakes.

2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
12 oz white chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1. In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy. Beat in the melted white chocolate. Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla and beat at low speed, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl, until light and fluffy.

Yield: 2 3/4 CUPS

Source: Food and Wine



Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. I pinned that buttercream recipe though it sounds so decadent I likely will never use it. I've unsubscribed from lots of emails but the ones I get from our state legislature seem impossible to stop. I follow the procedure but I still get noticed of hearings for various committees. Maybe they miss me and want me back hassling them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Denise, but it does sound delicious.

      I have been unable to stop the political ones Denise and it drives me nuts. It only started after the election last year. I even get emails from Justin Trudeau (it says).

      Delete
  2. How come the whipped cream can't be freezed with sugar in it? As for emails, they are so intrusive. That's why I refuse to sign any petitions anymore because you get inundated with emails. I get sick of having to unsubscribe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you can freeze it with sweetening JoJo, if that's what you want, but you sure can't use it in casseroles, etc. if it has sugar in it.

      Trouble is, unsubscribing doesn't always work anyway.

      Delete
  3. Fortunately I don't get a lot of spam email. Entering giveaways signs me up on a lot of author newsletters. If I don't know the author, I unsubscribe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the political stuff which bothers me Alex, I have never been interested in politics (until you Americans elected Trump that is LOL).

      Delete
  4. Ordering anything online set you up for getting a lot of advertising emails from that company. Other than that, I don't get much spam and no political stuff, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I guess it does Susan. But I expect that. As I said to Alex, it's the political stuff which bothers me most.

      Delete
  5. So true, once you give your email address away, the world has it and no matter how many times you mark it as junk and ask outlook to 'block' them. They still arrive. Just like the now useless 'do not call list'!
    They've got you coming and going!
    Frozen whipped cream, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Yolanda, I have been marking these political ones "block sender", "block site" etc. but no luck. Guess I am stuck with them.

      It is amazing, and so useful. I sometimes use frozen chocolate volcanoes for dessert (from the store) and can just add a blob of frozen cream once they are cooked. Yummy.

      Delete
  6. I am not one for all those e-mails either. That buttercream recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you getting lots from the political people Birgit, I am ever since the election and I cannot seem to stop them.

      I think it is lethally tempting.

      Delete