Friday, May 12, 2017

Dem Bells, Asparagus, BMW, Book,

Dem bells, dem bells, dem bloody bells. A friend who is also a member of our team, joined us for bowling on Thursday afternoon because she wanted to do a bowl ahead for next week. Turns out that in her apartment building they are also testing the fire alarms and in her case, it takes two days (much bigger building). Enough to drive one totally crazy I would think. I played pretty well again today, I would love to think I could do the same again on Wednesday, the start of our summer league. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Having talked about Phyllo handling yesterday, I am determined to have a go when I get some more asparagus, hopefully today. The weather has been nice, but not too warm but from the picture posted by the farmer yesterday, the asparagus have been growing after the frost the other night. This was a picture posted by the farmer, Tim Barrie, on Wednesday, you can see all the dead (white) asparagus  but also the shoots of the new stuff beginning to grow again. Weather does play such an important part. I remember a few years ago when it was warm enough but not enough rain.

This news about BMW cars bursting into flame is going to hurt the sales quite a bit. BMW seem to think there isn't a problem, but from all that is said on the news I would think it is a pretty serious problem. People have even had their houses burn down because the car was in the garage when it caught fire.

I have just finished the book The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. I must admit, I was put off by the most unsympathetic protagonist and by what I had been told. However, someone else told me they had really enjoyed the book, so I persevered. I am so glad I did, I thought it was an excellent story. I would highly recommend it but I think one needs to read further than 50 pages to start appreciating what the story has to offer. I am now looking forward to her second novel, Into the Water.

I haven't tried this recipe yet, but really must do so, sounds good.

Asparagus Beef Rolls

8 asparagus spears
1 lb shabu-shabu style thinly sliced beef
4 Tbs regular soy sauce
1/2 cup sake
2 Tbs mirin
2 Tbs sugar
Water for blanching
2 Tbs canola oil
Japanese hot mustard (karashi), optional condiment

1. Combine marinade ingredients (soy sauce, sake, mirin, and sugar) in a medium bowl and stir until mixed. Add thinly sliced beef and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, trim bottom of asparagus, then slice asparagus spears vertically in half or quarters, depending on the thickness of the spear. Blanch asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove from pot and rinse with cold water. Set aside.

3. Take 2 to 3 pieces of beef and gently spread it out on a plate or cutting board. Lay 2 or 3 asparagus pieces across one edge of the sliced beef. Gently roll-up the asparagus in the beef, tucking the end under the bottom of the roll. Repeat until all the beef and asparagus have been used to make several rolls.

4. In a large pan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add beef and asparagus rolls to the pan and sear the beef until all sides are lightly and evenly browned. Add any remaining marinade into the pan and simmer the beef and asparagus rolls together for 1 to 2 minutes.

5. Slice each beef and asparagus roll into thirds or fourths, plate, then serve with Japanese hot mustard (karashi). The rolls can also be served as is, without any hot mustard.

Servings: 4

Tips
For this recipe, either shaved beef, shabu-shabu or sukiyaki style beef may be used. It is easier to work with the sukiyaki style beef, as it does not tear as easily as the shabu-shabu style beef when wrapping the meat and vegetable rolls. I prefer the thinner shabu-shabu cut of beef for a thinner and more delicate roll, however, for a slightly heartier version I recommend using sukiyaki style beef.


Author: Judy Ung
Source: About Food

Have a great day

21 comments:

  1. Glad you played well today. Here's to more time like that.

    Agreed about the weather. Really makes a difference.

    You are far more patient than I am. I read the first page of an author. If I don't like what's there, I don't move on.

    Wow on the BMW and houses too? Ack.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy. Only the first page Ivy? I would have missed some good stories if I had given up that quickly.

      Scary isn't it?

      Delete
    2. As for as story goes, yes. I can see that. But as far as the writer's writing style, everything I need to know is on that first page.

      Just got off the phone with the asparagus farm and due to frost, no asparagus this weekend. Not until mid-next week.

      Delete
    3. True I guess Ivy.

      Pity about the asparagus. I am hoping to get some now. Leaving shortly.

      Delete
    4. On my blog today, I asked what one food would you not want to give up and I wondered if you would pick asparagus???

      Got your message about getting more. Very cool.

      Delete
    5. Need to go check your blog Ivy, but I think you are right, asparagus would be my choice.

      It was very lucky too.

      Delete
    6. If I could, I wish I could eat corn again. I think I miss that the most because I could bake with it too. But even still, chicken was harder for me to stop eating.

      Delete
    7. I'm surprised you can't eat corn Ivy. Not a thing I eat much, I probably eat a few cobs when it's in season and that's about the only time of the year.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad the bowling went well. Haven't caught the BMW bit - rather busy at the moment ... but relax and enjoy the asparagus ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. The BMW story is all over the news here.

      Hope I can get some asparagus today.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo, Good book suggestion - I've been looking at that one and debating on whether to wait for the film to show up on Netflix. There's lots of car stories in the news these days - with them false information about emissions it's going to do a lot of damage to sales as well as all these faults. I hope the alarms stop going off soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I really enjoyed it in the end Fil although it took some getting into. Lots about BMW in the news here. Alarm testing is all over thank goodness.

      Delete
  4. They were testing the alarms in the hospital one day when our yoga class was going on. As for the book, there are many readers on Goodreads who read the entire book and had the same opinion as I did after 50 pages. There are way too many books to read to continue on when I am not enjoying something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went online to read about those fires. Doesn't make sense. Several different models varying from 1-15 years in age? Seems that it needs better investigating.

      Delete
    2. Drives you nuts doesn't it? I must admit the first half of the book was really offputting Denise, but glad I persevered. I guess something about the first part intrigued me anyway.

      Yes, I agree, it is peculiar about the BMWs.

      Delete
  5. A car that catches fire is never a good thing. Like those Pintos in the 70's that exploded when rear ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about the Pintos Alex. But the story on the BMWs says they are completely untouched but just sitting untouched when they burst into flames.

      Delete
  6. I hadn't heard about the BMWs. Wow. I hope no one was hurt when it happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised JoJo, it's been all over the news. Not heard of anyone being hurt, I think the whole point is that it only occurs when the car has been turned off and left.

      Delete
  7. I hadn't heard about the BMWs catching fire but the auto industry hasn't been functioning very well recently, has it. Fake emissions are bad enough but when you hear about car fires and cases of some Volkswagens losing power resulting in crashes you have to wonder what's going on. Volkswagen are recalling affected car models in Australia but that's not much consolation to those who have been injured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too busy trying to protect their sales I guess Helen. As far as I know, nobody has been injured with the BMWs but house fires have ensued which is NOT funny.

      Delete