Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Weather, English Radio,

Tuesday morning I thought the eclipse had finally found us. It went so dark at about 9 a.m. we had to switch on the lights. Turned out to be rain clouds. I now hear there will be another eclipse in 2024 which is supposed to pass over Southern Ontario and Southern Québec. Assuming I am still here in 7 years' time.

I was remembering living in England this morning and listening to the radio. At 9:15 am they read a book for 15 minutes which I usually listened to. Several novels they read I suddenly "got" like The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens. Never could read it myself. Saturday afternoon there was usually a play. I used to iron and listen at the same time. One play I remember was Lost Horizon. Then they had lots of comedians - mostly in the evenings. Some of the best came from Aunty BBC as we used to call it. Of course, there wasn't any advertising either in those days. I can't remember how they subsidised themselves. I know when TV first came out we had to have a TV license. But once advertising came along I guess that was no longer necessary.

Got my hair cut. The young lady did a pretty good job. I promised I would be back.

This traditional Italian recipe has been converted to a one pot version and might be well worth trying out.

One-Pot Cacio e Pepe

This simple and classic pasta dish just got easier -- all of the ingredients are cooked together in the same pot, and the sauce reduces while the pasta cooks, no draining necessary! Don't wait for water to

boil again.

12 oz thin spaghetti, broken in half (see note)
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
2 tsp lemon juice
½ cup grated Pecorino-Romano, plus more for serving
1 Tbs unsalted butter
½ cup grated Parmesan
2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper, plus more for serving

1. boil over medium-high heat. Continue to cook, stirring the spaghetti frequently to keep it from clumping, until it is al dente, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Gradually sprinkle in the Pecorino and stir until completely melted, then add the butter. Sprinkle in the Parmesan, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir until melted and smooth-the cheese will clump at first but will melt into the sauce and thicken it up after about 4 minutes. Divide the spaghetti among 4 bowls and garnish with additional Pecorino and pepper.

Servings: 4

Tips
The success of this recipe is dependent upon the specific pasta shape suggested, so we don't recommend substitutions

Have a great day
 

9 comments:

  1. Even after we got out first TV in 1950 my mother kept the radio on to listen to her soap operas. I still remember hearing them on the radio. One was called 'I Remember Mama' and yes, the radio is one of the ways I remember her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, apparently, 'I Remember Mama' was only on the radio in 1949 and then went to TV.

      Delete
    2. We still have the radio on a lot Denise, but only get music these days.

      Delete
  2. I still occasionally tune in to the Archers on Radio 4 (BBC) - what is it they say - the pictures are better on radio!
    there's still a license but that only covers the Beeb - but it's well worth it, even though people have been complaining about it recently and say it should be done away with. But the standard of their programming, both on radio and TV is the best by far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, is the Archers still running? Before them was Mrs. Dale's Diary which I really liked. I think BBC standards were always much higher.

      Delete
  3. I used to listen to the Muddleheaded Wombat on the radio when I was a kid. We got our first TV in about 1964 but they didn't start broadcasting until about 4 in the afternoon. Back then kids had to play outside all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds a fun programme Pinky. I remember my parents finally getting one but I don't remember when. I do remember it was in black and white only. Kids should still play outside all day.

      Delete
  4. I've found that I can't concentrate on things like books on tape or being read on the radio...half the time when I'm online and the TV is on, I have no idea what is being said on TV. As for Charles Dickens, all of the so-called 'classic' literature books are sooooo dry and boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some I agree JoJo, but some of the stories are wonderful. But then I am a big reader and have never been much for TV anyway. As I said, I used to enjoy the book being read to us. In fact at one school, we had to do mending on Saturday morning and one of the teachers read to us. She chose great stories too.

      Delete