Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Doctor's, Shopping, Phone, Supper, Ginger,

I was a bit miffed, I had to go to the doctor's this afternoon (Tuesday) and I sat there for quite a long time, I didn't see the actual doctor, but the PA. My CT scan reveals lots of degeneration and general aging (surprise, surprise) about which nothing can be done except physio, well I do gentle exercise so that is OK. I also asked about Matt's Cardiac Event Monitor. They now have some details but not a definitive report!!! i.e. my visit was a total waste of time and effort.

Afterwards I went grocery shopping and spent a fortune. Luckily I had $50 in points so knocked that
off the total. When I got home I couldn't believe I had forgotten bananas, we eat one each every day, and I forgot them!!!! I was astounded to find star anise in our grocery store. I got chatting to a woman in a wheel chair. She has MS (has done so for years) and is living in a tiny apartment - 2 rooms - at a local senior's facility. She loves to cook so I gave her my card showing my blog address. Nice woman. She said she had come across star anise in a recipe for rice. Must see if I can find that.

Nearly forgot to pick up a parcel at the Post Office. The phone I bought for Matt. They tried to deliver it whilst I was bowling so left a pick up note. I have made a couple of pictures to go on it but have to get a pic of one friend. Maybe I should put one of his daughters on there too.

Tonight I made an omelet which included turmeric and called for brown mustard seeds. I couldn't find them so I just threw in some Coleman's mustard powder and it tasted pretty good. The rest of the filling was tomatoes and onions (I added some garlic too). But I am trying to introduce more turmeric into our diet.

Yesterday I published a recipe which was garnished with Red Pickled Ginger. I was unfamiliar with this but Denise of My Life in Retirement did some Googling and found this recipe.

Pickled Ginger (Beni Sho-ga)

Finely shredded pickled ginger, used as a garnish in Japanese recipes, is easy to make and tastes fresher than store-bought. San Francisco Bay Area chef Sylvan Mishima Brackett prefers young ginger because it's juicer and less fibrous (a very thin skin makes it easy to identify). Regular ginger
is fine too.

1 small red beet
4 oz fresh ginger, peeled and cut into very thin 1-in.-long matchsticks
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 Tbs kosher salt

1. Put beet in a small saucepan with water to cover by 1 in. Bring to a boil, then simmer until tender when pierced with the tip of a small knife, about 25 minutes. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into quarters.

2. Meanwhile, put ginger in a medium saucepan with water to cover by 2 in. Bring to boil. Drain and repeat process once or twice more, depending on the spiciness of the ginger. It should have a strong taste but not be too spicy.

3. Combine rice vinegar and salt with 1 cup water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve salt. Add ginger and beet, cover, and chill overnight.

4. Make ahead: Up to 2 weeks, chilled.

Yield: Makes about 3/4 cup

Source: My Recipes


Have a great day
 

20 comments:

  1. I take 500 mg of turmeric each day and no longer wake up with swollen fingers. I might have to see a doctor about my upper leg and hip. It still hasn't completely healed and my son is wondering if I actually tore the muscle - I doubt it. Sucks getting aches and pains as we age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 500 mg Denise? Seems quite a lot. It is supposed to be good for the brain too. Sorry you are still hurting. I know what that's like.

      Delete
    2. Actually, the recommended dosage is 1000 mg.

      Delete
    3. Is it? I must check that out.

      Delete
  2. I've never even heard of star anise.
    Sorry the doctor visit was a waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It adds a delicious flavour to foods Alex. I do a beef stew with it and it's my favourite. I am sure you could add it very successfully to chicken dishes. Have to remember not to bite them though, I think you could break a tooth.

      So am I. I was teed right off.

      Delete
  3. Doctor's offices can be so frustrating. I didn't know turmeric had health benefits. I have to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dentist's too Susan. Years ago when I was working, I walked out of a dentist's office because I was waiting far too long.

      Yes, it has lots of health benefits, especially for mental health apparently. In those countries where they use it a lot dementia is rarely a problem.

      Delete
  4. You're aging? Wow, big surprise. Good thing you got a doctor's opinion on that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Diane, it was a big surprise to me, I hadn't noticed.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jo - been offline - frustrating when life is busy! Glad things are ok and moving along - let alone the ageing ...

    I've never used star anise ... I know friends who have ... my favourite spice is cumin ...

    Cheers for now - and hope Matt gets bowling tomorrow - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is frustrating Hilary, you got that right.

      I started to use it more because of a Nigella recipe for Spiced Beef in Red win. I posted it a while ago, it gives it a great flavour.

      I hope he does too and I hope he grows up overnight LOL

      Delete
  6. I should try and find turmeric supplements. I don't like the spice...isn't it part of Indian foods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just Indian JoJo, a lot of Asian peoples use it. I'm kind of chucking it in everything at the moment.

      Delete
  7. We've been adding a lot of turmeric to our meals, too. It's tasty and might helpl with some of our health problems. I tried the capsules for a while and they didn't seem to have any effect on my arthritis but then I read a study - can't remember where - which said it works better if you use it in cooking because it needs to be combined with oil (I'm only guessing here but I assume any fat would work) to be effective. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that Helen. It makes sense that cooking it in oil would improve it. After all that is how Asians eat it.

      Delete
  8. I have never been a lover of anise. I'm glad you ran into that woman and I hope she likes your blog and the recipes. I like tumeric but don't use it enough. I know it is excellent for what you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is a proven fact Birgit, that Easterners have less dementia type problems than we do in the west and they certainly eat turmeric regularly.

      Delete
  9. Turmeric and bananas. Both rich in excellent health properties. No wonder you are so sprightly and switched on. Unfortunately, bananas make me gag,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about the sprightly Pinky LOL. What a pity, I love bananas.

      Delete